Stabba-dabba-do!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tiny violins can commence playing now.

I hate this job. I hate it a dozen ways. It's low-barred my professional history. I have a long commute, to work with people I dislike, on a software product I think is badly-written and likely doomed to fail, and I can't seem to move any of that in a better direction.

But I'm paid well, so the tiny, tinny concert is warranted.

Still. Every day is an emotional slog. Any day I don't blow up out of sheer frustration is a victory. Count me spoiled for having known better than this and wanting it again. Looking for better, and it can't come soon enough.

Stabby stabby stabby.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to know a guy with a PhD who was a pearl dipper. As in, he had strands of beads he hand-dipped in some pearlizing solution and hung to dry, and they got a bazillion coats of the stuff, and that's all he did for eight hours a day. He got the job because he was Greek-American. The company was Greek-owned and all the employees were Greek men and women, and guess what language they spoke all day that my friend didn't?

Anyway, the point is that he shifted from resenting his exclusion, the lousy work environment, the work being so beneath him to just drifting through his days thinking his thoughts when the work didn't demand his full attention. It was rent paid, food on the table, beer on weekends, gas in the car. Eventually he did get a better job teaching his field (I just looked him up--bald!) but I admired how he made the best of what he had when things sucked.

The well-paid part is huge, as you'll know if you think back to those times when you were not paid well enough. So I shall softly sing along to your tiny, tiny violin, if that's all right.

Maryn, wishing you great luck in finding better

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Keep looking. Stash the cash you can stash.

It's honest work, if demoralizing.

Says she who once had a job attaching aglets to shoelaces on an assembly line.

Heck, I've written thousands of words at 0.02 a word.

It's work. I paid bills.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Intro, my advice would be to set a goal for yourself that includes a cut-off. On this date, or When I have saved this much money. Then at least you know every day is progress. You'll work better (and hopefully find more pleasure in the work) it you know it is leading somewhere - even if the place it's leading is Thanks, and goodbye.

It worked for me. Good luck!

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for kind words, all. Don't mind me. Just venting. Also, not actually violent, except sometimes in my fevered imagination. I'm a million times more likely to cut someone with sarcasm than a blade.

And yes, I'm looking for something better, and yes, things are moving in the right direction. Have interviews by phone tomorrow & Friday, all for full-time work-from-home positions, so perhaps I can ditch the long commute if nothing else.

I know the feeling. What do you do for a living?

I write software. Specifically, I use a language called Scala to write highly scalable servers for various things. It's a bit of a niche, so jobs can be thin if you're not living in one of the hot-spots for it, like NYC. But since there are relatively few of us in the niche, those employers who use Scala & attendant tools are conversely very eager to talk to you.

I really have little to complain about, all things considered. Doesn't stop me though. :evil

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW: Accepted a new job Wednesday, resigned the old job yesterday. No stabbings involved, though there always the last days at the old place, so "never say never"...

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very odd place, that I'm leaving. I have two co-workers and a manager. I resigned yesterday, to my manager's obvious shock and great irritation. I said I was surprised that he was surprised -- anyone with an ounce of emotional awareness would know I've been unhappy for months.

He asked me not to tell my co-workers, as one of them was working from home, and he wanted to tell them himself today when both were in the office. He asked me to stay home today. (Ostensibly, to work from home, but I've actually got nothing to do, so did nothing but check email and instant messaging all day.)

Why ask me to stay home? Was he afraid they'll... Weep? Rage? Punch me? How bizarre. Never seen the like in ~ 35 years of this career.

Meanwhile, others in the company have said in IM or email, "congrats!" and "where are you going?" but none of my team has. Others in the company have told me my team is not well-liked. Gee, I wonder why? It's been like working with grouchy, petulant children.

Monday should be interesting; I have an exit interview with the CEO and president.

My last day there is Wednesday, unless they just ask me to stay home, which is also possible. (I've already taken home all personal items, but I do need to return a laptop and access card, so I suppose if needs be, I'll just go in Wednesday morning and take care of that.)

Have no idea what I'm going to work on for the half-week, if anything. Weird, weird place. Really glad to see the back of it.

Last edited:

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Ted. I hear that -- a paycheck's a paycheck.