Scrapping a manuscript that an agent request pages of

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
So long story short, I went to a writing conference, pitched my novel, and the agent said to get it closer to 90k works, then send her an email with my query synopsis and first 50 pages.

Since I met with this agent, I realized there are so many underlying issues with my manuscript. It's my first novel, and my gut is telling me to scrap it or at least set it aside for now. I'm not sure when/if I will ever go back to it at this moment.

So my question is, do I reach out to the agent that requested the materials and tell her this, thanking her for her time? Or do I forget the request ever happened and not bother her?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
When a very similar situation happened to me, I just let it drop.

In talking to other people at the conference, that particular agent seemed to have requested pages from everyone she spoke to, if their book was complete, so I figured she had so many pitches and queries, she wouldn't even notice one request never materialized.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't sent the pages yet, I'd just let it drop. If you have, just wait and see what happens.

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both, that's what I figured was the best option, I just wanted some validation I suppose. Appreciated!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I sort of get the idea of letting it drop, and I know agents tend to be busy, but I hear the ghosts of my parents telling me that you should always thank someone for their time and effort, and not leave them hanging. Even if it's three lines in an email, what can it hurt to say, "I've realized this will take too much work right now, but thanks for your time. I hope to contact you soon with a more suitable manuscript."? That might give you a foot in the door later when you're ready.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
You might just let it go for a while and leave yourself the option of going back over this later. If a rewrite was supposed to happen, the agent will expect that should take some time. So in a couple months you could take another look at your ms and see if you still think it's trunk-worthy or not.