The 'ol 'I got my plotline from a dream' thing?

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
So, who's it happened to? I've never had it happen to me. Sure, I've realised plot solutions while I've been driving, or practicing harp, or in the shower -- but I've never woken up having dreamt about a plot solution or new character.

So I'm wondering how common is it? Do lots of people get it? Do you modify what you found in the dream to suit your novel or just go with exactly what you dreamt?

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
A few times whole lucid dreaming I would conjure up interesting scenes that would help with character development. I have a hard time recalling dialogue, but the actions are easy to remember.

Paragraphic

Word eater.
Registered
Reaction score
I've done that! Both times were horror novels. Dreamed up the world and situation and then developed it into a story.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a few dreams that I've tried to turn into a story - and based on this thread, think we're not alone! :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Ahahahahaa

*unrolls list of 35+ full novel ideas that came from dreams*

Just a few. *twitch*

The ideas always get modified. Dreams aren't exactly good at giving you a whole story, or a sensible one. Lots of plot holes or things that don't make sense, or sometimes I only remember bits and pieces and have to fill in the blanks myself. But I usually get a lot out of them. It works best for me when I fall back asleep for, like, an hour or so before I have to get up. Then the memory is most vivid, and the dreams tend to make the most sense. Sometimes I can combine two different dreams months or years apart to make a complete story concept. If I feel there's something that I can salvage from a dream, I write it down. Never know when all the pieces come together.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I will sometimes dream the solution to a plot problem I've been struggling to correct, but I don't think any ideas have come wholesale from dreams.

CreativeHeart75

Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the majority here. I have woken up many times and thought, I have to get this down before I forget what happened. Some great ideas can come in dreamscapes, in my opinion anyway. :)

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i've had dreams of one particular SCENE.....and then the story just happened to evolve around it, once i wrote it down...LOL

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
My partner (not a writer) regularly gets fully formed stories in his dreams. Beginnings, middles, ends, twists, the whole lot.

I get disconnected weirdness where the dialogue is snappy but the storyline is incomprehensible and stairs never work properly.

(Or I just dream about smut involving hot guys from the TV, but that's just between us alright?)

Last edited:

msuss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelSussmanBooks.com
I certainly get story-related ideas while daydreaming, especially when induced by walking or hiking. One issue I've encountered, and it's tough to dismiss as coincidence, is that aspects of stories I've written later "come true" in reality. Makes me nervous to write.

dickson

Hairy on the inside
Registered
Reaction score
I certainly get story-related ideas while daydreaming, especially when induced by walking or hiking. One issue I've encountered, and it's tough to dismiss as coincidence, is that aspects of stories I've written later "come true" in reality. Makes me nervous to write.

Jeez, that would induce crippling writer's block in me!

Alternatively, this sounds like a great prompt!

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda like Maggie and Myrealana, maybe, I don't get whole plots or characters, but I do get help from my dreams with fixing plot issues and phrasing thoughts. The help is so reliable that, whenever I have the discipline to go to sleep thinking about my writing, rather than falling asleep listening to a podcast or Seth Meyers, I will wake with new ideas. Nearly guaranteed. Given quiet space, subconscious and conscious parts of our minds communicate. It's pretty awesome.

msuss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelSussmanBooks.com
Yes, it's a matter of letting go of your conscious control, especially while writing a first draft, and allowing your subconscious mind to play with the material. Stephen King has described how when he's finished writing for the day he stops thinking about the story and lets "the boys in the basement" do their work.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I get ideas and sparks from dreams, such as imagery or compelling scenes or turns of phrase, though full stories with beginnings, middles, and ends (ones that make sense on waking - dream logic is an entirely different animal) are rare - not entirely unknown, but rare. I do, however, often find myself "writing" and "watching" the dream as I interact with it. Also had some dreams with cool soundtracks.

As others have mentioned, getting a waking-world story out of dreams generally takes some work. But there's definitely inspiration in them. I just have to be careful how obsessively I write them down; I get into phases where I have stress-dreams after the "cool" dream where I keep trying to write down the dream but can't form letters or can't get the pen to work - until by the time I wake for real the cool dream's gone and most of what I'm left with is the frustration of not having been able to write it down, save a few fragments.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
As others have mentioned, getting a waking-world story out of dreams generally takes some work. But there's definitely inspiration in them. I just have to be careful how obsessively I write them down; I get into phases where I have stress-dreams after the "cool" dream where I keep trying to write down the dream but can't form letters or can't get the pen to work - until by the time I wake for real the cool dream's gone and most of what I'm left with is the frustration of not having been able to write it down, save a few fragments.

OH GOD I'VE HAD THESE. Oh my god, they're the worst. Or the ones where you actually write them down and then go about your day but you were dreaming and didn't actually and now you can't remember.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
@Maggie and @BrightDreamer, I'm kidding, and I'm totally not kidding: I feel like I'm gonna have a nightmare about this thread tonight. :)

Last edited:

J.Catherine

you call me Jen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jcatherine.com
Just after I posted this I remembered that I have had one thing come out of a dream. One kind of monster thing for my first novel, which I'm adamant not to cut because the dream was actually terrifying. But whereas that involved my dad and my mentor's kid (????) fighting it in a tent while I tried to get comfy in a sleeping bag, I changed it to my MC and SC fighting it in a forest. No tents involved.

But apart from that, there's really not been much. Only realized it when my psychology teacher was talking about writers sometimes getting ideas in dreams being evidence supporting cognitive/biological dream theories. Wish I'd dream more plot solutions up, so I didn't have to do the whole 'sit and think about this one plothole for an hour' thing.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
*unrolls list of 35+ full novel ideas that came from dreams*

Mine is 50+.
I've found since I've gotten into plotting and story that I tend to get excited and start tweaking my dreams (in my sleep) when I think there's potential. Like, ooo, good idea, but where's X characters' motivation? And how could I make those stakes more personal? In the background I think my little dream orchestrator is getting very annoyed with me. :greenie

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a dream tweaker too. I have lucid dreams a lot, and wish-fulfillment dreams. I have also dreamed while under anesthesia.

Last night, I was having a nice dream about visiting a giant brewery, and going upstairs to where the sample room was. I was looking forward to tasting a few but wondering why the characters in the dream weren't speaking normally -- they were making wheezy, raspy sounds. I woke up to discover my boyfriend was snoring.

Thekherham

The Alien Writer
Registered
Reaction score
5657 Brežendra Rd., Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
I'm crazy. My entire 'autobiography' (note the quotation marks) is based on dreams. An entire alien planet... no, make that two planets, islands, oceans... continents, big cities. I had it so exact I even drew maps, but they disappeared. Some day I'll have to redraw them.

pbandj

Registered
Reaction score
I find that I hardly ever remember my dreams, though I very much want to! I've thought about starting a dream journal so I can try and make my way to lucid dreaming. But I've heard sometimes attempts at lucid dreaming can result in night terrors? Having experienced night terrors, it makes me nervous to attempt lucid dreaming.

Most of my story ideas come from daydreaming.

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
I have had a recurring lucid dream since 2001 where I am in a beautiful library and I can take any book off the shelves and read a section of it, with almost perfect recall upon awakening. It's always the same library, and the books within it are always about the same world, its histories, heroes, etc. I started off just writing down notes about the dreams whenever I had them, but over the course of a few years I started to notice that everything fit together like a puzzle to create a bigger picture. That's how I've gotten almost all of the inspiration for my series. I guess you could say it's "fan-fiction" of that other world, since I use the same setting and some of the ideas from the dreams but the plots and some of the characters are my own.

Theodore Koukouvitis

Registered
Reaction score
Happens a lot to me. More often I dream of situations that, with appropriate modification to be less absurd, become plot elements within my stories.

Sometimes I wake up with whole book plots roughly outlined, or names of characters whom I feel I know intimately well. Some are so weird as to be unusable without extensive alterations, but a few are good almost as-is.