How do you think Harry Potter will end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

If you haven't read through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, I advise not reading this thread.

How do you think the Harry Potter series will end? What predictions would you make regarding what's to come in the last book? Is Snape truly evil and a traitor? What do you think in regards to the location of these horcruxes? What is meant by the prophecy "neither can live while the other survives?"

I don't think Snape is evil. I think his killing Dumbledore had been planned by the both of them.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I just hope Dumbledore didn't die to become more powerful and be able to aid Harry better a la Obi-Wan (remember episode IV?)

As my friend said, it would be interesting if everyone died.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think everyone's going to die, Dama. Sorry. I think Ginny and Harry are going to end up together, and Ron and Hermione.

I think Snape and Dumbledore are co-conspiritors against Voldemort. I really don't think Snape is evil.

As for the prophecy, that's simple. Neither Voldemort nor Harry can truly live while the other is in the world. Harry can't fully be himself--he's got to be the hero guy who is unwittingly pitted against Vodemort, and Voldemort can't return fully to a body or power while Harry is alive. So one of them has to go, and it's going to be Voldemort.
I think Dumbledore pulled a sort of Voldemort, and isn't really dead, though I'm not gonna bet the pot on my theory.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
DamaNegra said:
I just hope Dumbledore didn't die to become more powerful and be able to aid Harry better a la Obi-Wan (remember episode IV?)

As my friend said, it would be interesting if everyone died.

Man, I couldn't even imagine the price on Rowling's head if she killed everyone.

It's been my belief that Harry will defeat Voldemort, but will die doing it.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's been my belief that Harry will defeat Voldemort, but will die doing it.

If she only kills Harry, the price on her head will only be about a nickle lower than the first scenario, I'm thinking...

Puddle Jumper

I think Dumbledore had to die so that he wasn't there anymore to protect Harry. Thus far he's always been there to protect Harry. In the first book, Harry passed out from the pain in his scar and Dumbledore showed up. In the second book, Dumbledore's help brought the hat with the sword in it to Harry. In the fifth book he showed up at the ministry to protect Harry from Voldemort.

Here's something to think about. A passage from page 446 in Half-Blood Prince.

For a second, Harry was on the verge of shouting a pointless warning: He was sure that Voldemort's hand had twitched toward his pocket and his wand; but then the moment had passed, Voldemort had turned away, and he was gone.

What do you think Voldemort did in Dumbledore's office? He probably cast some kind of spell. Perhaps on Dumbledore himself. Perhaps that's what caused Dumbledore to cry out like he did as he drank the potion.

I think that Harry's scar is the final horcrux.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu said:
I don't think everyone's going to die, Dama. Sorry. I think Ginny and Harry are going to end up together, and Ron and Hermione.

I think Snape and Dumbledore are co-conspiritors against Voldemort. I really don't think Snape is evil.

As for the prophecy, that's simple. Neither Voldemort nor Harry can truly live while the other is in the world. Harry can't fully be himself--he's got to be the hero guy who is unwittingly pitted against Vodemort, and Voldemort can't return fully to a body or power while Harry is alive. So one of them has to go, and it's going to be Voldemort.
I think Dumbledore pulled a sort of Voldemort, and isn't really dead, though I'm not gonna bet the pot on my theory.

Well I was going to reply but I see you already said everything I wanted to say. Thanks for saving me the trouble.
;):snoopy:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Now there's something I hadn't thought of...

But it makes so much darn sense.

Puddle Jumper

Yeshanu said:
I agree. I think Snape told Dumbledore about his unbreakable vow. I think when Dumbledore said, "Severus. . . please. . ." he was asking Snape to do the deed. I think the revulsion and hatred etched into Snape's face was because Dumbledore was asking him to do something he had never done nor wanted to do - kill a man, being to kill Dumbledore. Dumbledore was asking Snape to become a murderer, something Snape was not and probably despised.

I think Snape is going to sacrifice his life in order to destroy Voldemort. The author is big on names. Severus Snape sounds like sever a snake.

Yeshanu said:
Here's a thought on the prophecy. Neither can live while the other survives. Harry is alive and Voldemort is surving, but Voldemort isn't really mortal and can't just be killed. So they're not both living.

If Harry's scar is the last horcrux there may be a problem in how Harry will live through that Horcrux being destroyed.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:

Exactly what I was thinking!

Also, for some reason I can't exactly pin point at this point, I think Neville Longbottom has a HUGE role to be played out at the end. Dumbledore said the prophecy could've been attributed to either Harry or Neville.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I think Ron's brothers are secretly behind everything.

Really, I think Snape is pure evil and has been playing everybody, Voldemort included. I like him--he's like Governor Tarkin.

Rob :)

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
One idea I had was that Dumbledore is not dead and he was working with Snape to make it appear he was dead to fool everyone.

Puddle Jumper

WDS said:
One idea I had was that Dumbledore is not dead and he was working with Snape to make it appear he was dead to fool everyone.
I think that could also be a possibility.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
If Harry's scar is the last horcrux there may be a problem in how Harry will live through that Horcrux being destroyed.

Harry's scar is the last horcrux, and he kills himself in order to destroy V.

Dumbledore is dead - but he's able to communicate to Harry through the portrait in his office (all the past Headmaster's portraits are in that office, right?) - though I think there was a passage in the last book about Dumbledore not appearing in 'his' portrait yet so perhaps he's really alive and hiding somewhere...?

Longbottom and Harry were actually switched at birth. Longbottom is the "real" Harry Potter and the "Harry Potter" we know has all along been bait dangled in front of V. in order to draw him out into the open...

(These are just wild speculation.)

Take care all -

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
My-Immortal said:
Longbottom and Harry were actually switched at birth. Longbottom is the "real" Harry Potter and the "Harry Potter" we know has all along been bait dangled in front of V. in order to draw him out into the open...

(These are just wild speculation.)

Take care all -

Problem is that Harry looks very much like his parents, so I don't think they were switched.

Puddle Jumper

Dear My-Immortal,

First of all, portraits and paintings are only reflections of the person. The dead can not communicate through a painting or portrait of themself with the living.

Secondly, it's been commented time and time again that Harry looks just like his father but with his mother's eyes. Thus there is no doubt that Harry is James and Lily's son.

Furthermore, it's likely that poor Neville Longbottom suffers from a spell cast on him when he was young that affects his memory. I think they're called memory charms. In all liklihood he witnessed the torture of his parents (thus why in the fourth book and movie we saw him so shaken up when he saw the torture curse cast on the spider) and the memory charm was cast on him to make him forget for his own mental health. Thus why he's always forgetting something. Remember the remembrall in the first story that his grandma sent him? It clouded up meaning he couldn't remember something.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
WDS said:
Problem is that Harry looks very much like his parents, so I don't think they were switched.

And with magic it wouldn't be possible to make one person look like another? I believe Harry and Ron used a potion to temporarily make themselves look like Malfoy's friends in an earlier book....couldn't Dumbledore do such a spell on a grander scale? (But again, I'm just wildly speculating on possible and insane story twists).

Puddle - thanks for the post. As I did point out my earlier post I was simply making 'wild speculations'. I have read the books and seen the movies, but not recently so all the details aren't as fresh in my mind.

"First of all, portraits and paintings are only reflections of the person. The dead can not communicate through a painting or portrait of themself with the living."

I thought the portraits in Dumbledore's office were of past headmasters and they did communicate to Dumbledore from time to time while Harry was in the office....(I could be wrong). And even if the portraits can't truly communicate anything 'new'...perhaps what Harry would need to learn from Dumbledore would be something from the past...?

I was wildly speculating on possible twists JK could toss in the last book. I don't believe everything is 'what it seems' and she's holding back a major reveal (or more) about multiple characters.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry does die at the end destroying V. in order to save everyone else. She's been setting him up as a loner all along (especially in the last book) - and his truly happiest moments seem to be when he's with his mother and father. In death, he would be reunited with them.

Again - just some wild speculation. :)

Take care all -

Edit: Sorry Puddle - typo - 'longer' really was supposed to be loner...

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

My-Immortal said:
I thought the portraits in Dumbledore's office were of past headmasters and they did communicate to Dumbledore from time to time while Harry was in the office....(I could be wrong). And even if the portraits can't truly communicate anything 'new'...perhaps what Harry would need to learn from Dumbledore would be something from the past...?
They do talk. However you can think of them as echos of those headmasters. They would capture the essence of who that headmaster was, his intellect, the way he thought things through, so the portrait would communicate to Dumbledore in that kind of a way. But as I mentioned, it's only an echo of the person, a memory of someone who has passed on.

It's been awhile since I've read all the books, I'd like to read them again sometime to refresh myself with them, especially the last two books.

My-Immortal said:
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry does die at the end destroying V. in order to save everyone else. She's been setting him up as a longer all along (especially in the last book) - and his truly happiest moments seem to be when he's with his mother and father. In death, he would be reunited with them.
A "longer?" What in the world is a longer?

That ending sounds way too much like Lord of the Rings to me, which I think there are already way too many similiarities between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

I'd like to see the series end with Harry still living and getting back together with Ginny which I've thought since the beginning that they would be the right match because if Harry married Ginny, then he and Ron would literally become family, and if Ron married Herimone, she too would literally be family as well.

I think it would be a more positive message for her to write him getting on with his life.

I do so wish she would write the story of his parents years in school, but Rowling has said she will not do this. Bummer.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
One thing to note is something JK has said in the past. I belive she said she was like Hermione when she was younger and her husband was like Ron. I am not certain about that but I think she said something simaler to that.

HeyBooBoo

Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
I also think Harry's scar, or Harry as a whole, is the final horcrux. I think LV accidently made Harry a horcrux when he killed either James or Lily, and since he has seven, killing Harry off shouldn't be an issue for him. I think it's the reason why Harry could see into LV's head before book 4, because Harry had a part of his soul.

I don't think Harry will have to die at the end though. At the end of Goblet of Fire Dumbledore's eyes twinkled when Harry mentioned that LV took his blood. Then in book 5 LV had the ability to see into Harry's mind, I think by taking Harry's blood LV took back that horcrux. Since he can now see into Harry's mind I wonder if he unwittingly set it up to where Harry can not die as long as he is alive. I think LV will attempt to kill Harry, see that Harry is not dead, think about Harry's blood in him, then kill himself thinking that he is immortal. LV will fall on his own sword of ego, not realizing that he took back the last horcrux.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle - I edited my post - I meant 'loner'.

I just don't know if it will all end happily. It would be nice if she were able to pull off a positive ending (in a satisfactory way), but I wonder if an 'and they all lived happily ever after' ending would fit the entire story. Maybe...<shrugs>...

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I, too, wouldn't mind rereading the books again - especially once we know when the last one is due to come out. I'd like to finish book 6 and be able to pick up 7 and continue on to the end.

No matter how it ends, JK will do two things that many other long-winded fantasy writers are unable to do:

1) Actually end a series. ;)

2) Make herself richer than JK Rowling now....

Take care -

Puddle Jumper

Bette Davis said:
I also think Harry's scar, or Harry as a whole, is the final horcrux. I think LV accidently made Harry a horcrux when he killed either James or Lily, and since he has seven, killing Harry off shouldn't be an issue for him. I think it's the reason why Harry could see into LV's head before book 4, because Harry had a part of his soul.

I don't think Harry will have to die at the end though. At the end of Goblet of Fire Dumbledore's eyes twinkled when Harry mentioned that LV took his blood. Then in book 5 LV had the ability to see into Harry's mind, I think by taking Harry's blood LV took back that horcrux. Since he can now see into Harry's mind I wonder if he unwittingly set it up to where Harry can not die as long as he is alive. I think LV will attempt to kill Harry, see that Harry is not dead, think about Harry's blood in him, then kill himself thinking that he is immortal. LV will fall on his own sword of ego, not realizing that he took back the last horcrux.
I think JK Rowling is highly intelligent and doesn't choose names lightly. Severus Snape sounds like sever a snake. I think Snape will play a key role in the 7th book in severing the link between Harry and Voldemort so that Harry won't have to die.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
I think JK Rowling is highly intelligent and doesn't choose names lightly. Severus Snape sounds like sever a snake. I think Snape will play a key role in the 7th book in severing the link between Harry and Voldemort so that Harry won't have to die.

Interesting thought.

Just had another wild thought about names. Since JK is telling this story using Harry Potter as the vehicle to reveal the story he is in a way -

Her reporter

(say it out loud)

LOL - okay...I'm tired and that was lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.