When approaching a new agent...

Dr. Pepper Hound

Registered
Reaction score
Do I mention that I was repped before, and by whom, and am looking for a new agent? Or, should I just present my new book, mention that I have been traditionally published and respond only if the subject is brought up?

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
In my unprofessional opinion based on what I've read/learned, I would definitely mention it.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
There's no need to tell them you have been repped before, unless you are subbing that same book. If that was the case, you'd have to tell them and where it was submitted. But if you're starting with a clean slate and this is a new book and has no ties with anything, then no. You don't have to mention it.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I didn't mention it. As Undercover said, the only thing that matters in your query is the novel itself, and if the NOVEL has been submitted to publishers before you should mention that. I talked about my previous representation on the call with my new agent, but even then it wouldn't be necessary.

Dr. Pepper Hound

Registered
Reaction score
Ok. I was wondering if I should. But I guess the fact I have been published by a small press - and likely repped - would be apparent to the agent and if they want to know they'll ask.

Thanks everyone!!!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I never mentioned Agent #1 to Agent #2. They were for different books anyway. Only up at the "phone call" stage did I mention I'd been agented before, and that was only in passing.

I probably won't mention either #1 or #2 to Agent #3 in the letter either.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Do I mention that I was repped before, and by whom, and am looking for a new agent? Or, should I just present my new book, mention that I have been traditionally published and respond only if the subject is brought up?

1 - don't call it traditionally published.

2 - when you query, put: "Published Author, seeking new Representation" as your subject line.

Detail your publishing history in the query. You don't have to mention your former agent's name unless asked.

They WILL google you, and they WILL find your publication history, and mentioning that you've had representation can get you a cut in line, as they're reasonably sure that you can use grammar and basic structure.

Last edited: