Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are there drawbacks to living in Minnesota?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess 'chilly' may be an understatement. :snoopy:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
That's a gorgeous looking mid-century modernist home. I'd live in it.

*Notices architect*

Holy shit. That thing costs less than a 2 bedroom cottage without a parking space would in Sydney.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
And that looks like FLR-designed furniture as well.

Minneapolis can't be that bad, right? I mean, literally all I know about the place is it's where Prince and the Mighty Ducks were from, and that it gets really bloody cold, but surely it can't be such a hellscape that a pristine house by America's most famous modernist architect there costs less than a frikkin unrenovated worker's terrace under a flight path would in Shitney ...

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - that is very cheap considering the limited number of properties he built (approximately 425 per Wikipedia) - but even less than that because many have been demolished/destroyed.

And it looks like it's the original owners!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing that price is because of who built it. The home is only about 2,400 sq. ft., in Minnesota. I doubt they usually go for that price.

Then again, maybe it's in an expensive neighborhood, if they got FLW to build it.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Part of the price is also for the 3.77 acres of woodland it sits on. And did you see that the real estate taxes are $15K a year? Yikes.

MM

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I can't see living in that house. Those floors would be frigid in a MN winter, and there's really not much in the way of space. Lots of storage, in the hall, and the kitchen is a good size, but the bedrooms and bathrooms seem cramped, and the built-in seating looks more uncomfortable than an airport.

I like looking at Wright's work, but I don't think I'd enjoy living in it much.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see living in that house. Those floors would be frigid in a MN winter, and there's really not much in the way of space. Lots of storage, in the hall, and the kitchen is a good size, but the bedrooms and bathrooms seem cramped, and the built-in seating looks more uncomfortable than an airport.

I like looking at Wright's work, but I don't think I'd enjoy living in it much.

^This - it's very interesting lines and design, but not sure it would mesh with today's lifestyles. The value I don't think is too bad though - wouldn't you agree if this was in metro Denver area, it's easily be in the 2 million range?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Either there are two dishwashers in it, or the washer / dryer are in the kitchen, and some of the angular features of the exterior walls really compromise the usable space inside (look at how narrow the bathroom is at the sink, by the window.) It's more time capsule than house, with the built-ins and such, but it's definitely interesting.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Part of the price is also for the 3.77 acres of woodland it sits on. And did you see that the real estate taxes are $15K a year? Yikes.

MM
Ah, didn't see that. I didn't spend much time on the page, and only looked at the first picture (the exterior).

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
I'm from Iowa, next door to Minnesota, and I don't think you see a real football game unless it is played in a blizzard. But I admit the mosquitos are as big as B-52 bombers in Minnesota.
(I'm in California now and I am wondering this evening if it is too warm out to go and jump into my hot tub. It's over 80 today.)

Alyssa L.

Registered
Reaction score
As a born and raised Minnesotan who still lives there, this house would be much better if it were on a lake. (Everything is better on a lake).

I guess it's a "little cold" in the winter. And the mosquitoes are giant. Oh, and the people never stop talking about the weather. Ever.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's just a question of taste, I'm sure, but that house does nothing for me. It looks cold and impersonal - okay, clutter would have been removed for the photographs, but still. I think it would look fine as offices for a small, prestigious business. But a home to live in? No. Not for me.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
It's just a question of taste, I'm sure, but that house does nothing for me. It looks cold and impersonal - okay, clutter would have been removed for the photographs, but still. I think it would look fine as offices for a small, prestigious business. But a home to live in? No. Not for me.

^This

For some reason I can't scroll the pictures on that site, but from what I can see it looks a lot like a public library.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
To each his own I suppose! It looks quite warm and cozy to me. The only thing I'd possibly change is the ... vinyl? ... floors. Only cos I hate the sound of wooden furniture scraping on hard surfaces. But I'm a big fan of mid century modernism in general. If I ever get my own architect-designed house, I'm going full blown neo-brutalism.

Reprobate Typewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I love Frank Lloyd Wright, and if I could just move that house to someplace... uhm... not Minnesota, I'd be there. I admit it. I'm just too much of a weenie to survive the winters. I could make it my summer home, I guess.;)

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Minnesota is not very big on Pokemon Go these days. They recently voted to have their parks require a permit for Pokemon go to be there. so instead, Niantic just took everything away. smooth move, Minnesota.