Book came back from editor today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
But I'm scared to look. Arrgh!! I've had mixed feelings about this for weeks, hoping she'd want another week.

So my goal is to look at what the editor has done.

I know I have to look sometime. But not today. Tomorrow? Maybe.

Meanwhile, procrastination rules.

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
I know how you feel. I just skim the edits slowly and take a break when I see something bad. It helps me get through it.

You got this! :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look at it like this:

1. Finished writing a book!
2. Finished with beta readers and my own edits
3. Got an agent!
4. Got an editor!
5. Got edits back - one step closer to published!

You've accomplished quite a bit - be proud and look forward to the feedback. You've done more than so many people already!

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
I take a breath and jump in. The imagination is what makes us writers. It's also what has us imagining the worse when, more often than not, it's never as bad as we think.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
treat it like a band aid....just rip it off....the sting only lasts for a second or two....

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would agree. Just rip it off and start. I totally understand not wanting to look at it. But believe me, once you do and dive into it, you'll be fine!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, too, that the editor's goal isn't finding and fixing your stupid mistakes. It's making the book the best it can be, which involves fixing mistakes. Big difference.

Maryn, who bristles only briefly when reviewing edits

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I've been in a critique group for years and they've read through every chapter (though not with the final edits). I'm getting closer to finishing and I'm shifting to the 'nervous to put it out there' phase. It's one thing when you tell people you know it needs work and you give it to them to read. But now that I'm getting to the part where I'm going to put it out there and say it's done except the final edits or just a little polishing, man, I do hear what you are saying in the OP, Keithy.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I try not to respond to ANY editor comment until I've read them all. Otherwise, I rush to correct based on what I think she said, when if I'd digested it more I would make better revisions. They also come across as.much less harsh after some settling time.

Also, you canpush back if you think the editor missed something. Most of the time the editor was right, but in one case she suggested I delete an entire scene until I told her what it meant. She said "I can't belive I missed that," and in it stayed.

laura12

Registered
Reaction score
I hope it went well!?

I always get a surge of panic after my first glance at the editor's notes. Then, the more I get into them, the more I realise there is sense behind most of them and then the whole process just seems to flow naturally and I end up getting so caught up in it all.
Deep breaths! :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I get bad anxiety about reading edits, so I'm going to second all the 'rip off the band-aid' advice points being given.

Also, something that works for me:

* Set a 25 minute timer, with a 5 minute break afterwards.
* Turn off the internet. Start the timer.
* Work on the edits for those 25 minutes.

Kauderwelsch

Registered
Reaction score
Always keep in mind, taht the editor wants your book to become as good as possible. Critic is not against you, it's to help you to develop. A good editor doesn't want to make an author feel bad or embarassed, he wants to work together with you on a common goal.
Take what you can to become better every day. And congrats!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
As somebody who has just been through a good edit - oof, I feel you pain. It's all a bit overwhelming.

Just do it and start, you might even see ways to drastically improve your book, and when that's all done it feels fantastic.

If all the comments and suggestions and changes are paralysing I'd start doing the small things here and there, whittle down the issues until you are left with a smaller number of larger ones, and those you can wrap your head around.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I just went through chapter one. Phew. Now the rest.

I can do this. I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Back to struggling to look at it again :-(

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Always keep in mind, taht the editor wants your book to become as good as possible. Critic is not against you, it's to help you to develop. A good editor doesn't want to make an author feel bad or embarassed, he wants to work together with you on a common goal.
Take what you can to become better every day. And congrats!

This is absolutely true. I've gone through two book edits and the editor was so helpful that I felt guilty not putting his name as the co-author. You've crossed the toughest hurdles already. Congratulations. This one is a piece of cake (unless you are like Ernest Hemingway and think every word you write is sacrosanct).

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've had major anxiety issues every time I had to wait for my edits to come back. I'm in the process of working on my copy-edits and I'm glad to say I'm 2/3rds done already. I admit, I still get nervous seeing the next comment balloon pop up, but I've gotten through all of them so far. I'll be so happy when it's done.

Suggestion, if you have a deadline, divide how many chapters by how much time you have and spread it out that way. For example mine is 30 chapters so I'm doing 5 chapters a day to get it done within a week's time. I don't do over that, don't want to overdo anything. Then reward yourself every time you meet your goal. Like for me when I get the portion done I need, it's time for chocolate. lol

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm one of the sick people who loves working through edit letters. I like revising in general, and editing guides better than my usual blind hunches.

But I've been lucky to have great editors.

One thing to remember: the faster you're done, the faster the book can get out there and earn you money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.