PDA

View Full Version : Addressing to specific agent in email query

Sigma
04-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Hi,

When an agency says to address your query letter to a specific agent, do they mean in the email subject line, or just in the salutations of the actual cover letter? If the latter, presumably they have assistants going through the emails, first?

Forgive me if there are other threads asking this same question (search came up negative for me) and I also had trouble finding the answer to this via Google. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Aggy B.
04-17-2017, 01:47 AM
If there is a general query email then you can add ATTN: Specific Agent's Name into the subject line. And also address the salutation to the agent you are intending to read it, whether you are sending to a general or specific email.

I usually put QUERY: Book Title ATTN: Agent Name when sending to a general address (rather than the Agent Name first) because sometimes they have filters that put stuff that doesn't specify QUERY into a different folder.

mayqueen
04-17-2017, 01:49 AM
Ditto what Aggy said, although I usually write in the subject line: "QUERY for [agent name]: TITLE." Either way works though! And then address it in the salutation, "Dear (agent),".

Sigma
04-17-2017, 02:14 AM
Thank you both very much. I will certainly be sure to do this in the future.

If I've already sent out a query to an agent* without his specific name in the subject line, but only in salutations, I'm assuming it would be a mistake to resend the query again? Should I just assume I've lost my chance with that agent?

*That agent has a general email for the agency and the submissions asks for us to address the query to the agent specifically. Obviously I made a blunder by not asking here first.

Siri Kirpal
04-17-2017, 03:10 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you send to a specific email address, then you're fine the way you sent it. No need to agonize.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sigma
04-17-2017, 03:35 AM
Sorry, let me clarify. In this particular case, the email I had used was a generalized one for the agency, not that specific agent. This is why I agonize (I am new to this, so forgive me). I was very interested in this agent.

Aggy B.
04-17-2017, 03:36 AM
They will probably sort it based on the salutation. Usually they mean "don't send it to "Dear Agent" and expect us to know who you mean". When it's going to a general address it never hurts to put the name in the subject line, but I don't think your chances are shot by just putting it in the salutation. (It's just a general "make things as easy as possible" suggestion, not so much a "this is going in the bin!" requirement.)

Harlequin
04-17-2017, 12:19 PM
The often specify, some will say (even if info@agency.com) to put the agent's name in the title.

Sigma
04-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone. Very much appreciate it!

HPhatecraft
04-19-2017, 01:37 AM
If there is a general query email then you can add ATTN: Specific Agent's Name into the subject line. And also address the salutation to the agent you are intending to read it, whether you are sending to a general or specific email.

I usually put QUERY: Book Title ATTN: Agent Name when sending to a general address (rather than the Agent Name first) because sometimes they have filters that put stuff that doesn't specify QUERY into a different folder.

I GUARANTEE you at least one user is now going to write a query that goes like this:

Dear ATTN: Agent Name, I've written a book titled "BOOK TITLE" and would like you to take a look...

Sorry, cheesy as hell, but I couldn't help it.