PDA

View Full Version : The Lost City of Z

blacbird
04-14-2017, 08:09 AM
I caught a trailer for this movie, which is about to be released, and there does seem to be significant studio push behind it. It is based on a non-fiction book by David Grann, of the same name, and it happens that I read this book a couple of years ago. It's a true history of a very odd and mysterious disappearance of three explorers in the Amazon jungle back in the 1920s, that was a big story for a long time, and has baffled researchers for decades. The main character is Percy Fawcett, a British engineer and surveyor who had become obsessed with the idea that there existed a lost city deep in the Amazon rain forest, and spent his life and fortune (and that of his favorite son and best friend as well) in a futile search for it.

I have no idea if the film is going to be good or bad, but it is an intriguing story, and Grann's book is quite good.

caw

villain_fan
04-14-2017, 02:51 PM
It's been released in Europe for a while now. I thought it was decent, but was a little disappointed. Interesting enough, but I think it tried to cover too much of his life and so was a bit slow at times. Not as exciting as I had hoped. I only knew a little about the story before seeing the film, and from what I knew it was pretty accurate, but I'd be interested to hear what someone who's read the book thinks.

shakeysix
04-14-2017, 03:56 PM
I read the book some years ago. I am a big fan of true but mysterious disappearances like Thomas Latimore. Maurice Daemetz or the Sodder children. I think it was a book about Amelia Earhart that I read as a kid that started this weird obsession but I digress. The Fawcett mystery is fascinating. So much hinges on Percy's psychology. He was a flake, I'm tempted to say he was demented. I was wondering about the movie, too. So many times movies miss the point by trying to solve the mystery. Movies and TV documentaries have screwed up so many beautiful mysteries--s6

Calla Lily
04-14-2017, 09:31 PM
I really like the book. I hope the movie doesn't disappoint.