PDA

View Full Version : I write like..

NicoleScripting
04-12-2017, 04:17 AM
There's a word analyzer that will tell you who you write like. I've entered many chapters and have gotten a lot of different results. It's fun to play with. Tell me what you get.

https://iwl.me/

Today:
Agatha Christie

Marlys
04-12-2017, 04:42 AM
I think it's stuck on Agatha Christie. I tried three different pieces I thought were quite different, and got Christie for all three.

Mary Mitchell
04-12-2017, 04:45 AM
Apparently I write like Stephen King, but I don't believe it.

NicoleScripting
04-12-2017, 04:48 AM
I think it's stuck on Agatha Christie. I tried three different pieces I thought were quite different, and got Christie for all three.
It's a mystery! You know who else liked mysteries.... Agatha Christie.
I just tried it with a short story and it came back Stephen King.

Marlys
04-12-2017, 05:23 AM
Okay, I've tried light and funny. I've tried dark, Gothic, and bloody. I've tried romance, horror, and fantasy. I've tried things I wrote years ago, and things I wrote today.

Every single thing comes out Agatha Christie.

Maybe I should be happy that there's some sort of inner consistency?

Matera the Mad
04-12-2017, 07:53 AM
It's not totally stuck. One item brought up Anne Rice.

Cindyt
04-12-2017, 08:21 AM
WIP1: ye olde Agatha Christie

WIP2: Anne Rice

WIP3: Arthur Clark. Mr. Clark is a British Scfi writer. My WIP3 is an autobiography. Yeah, that's my life. ((((Snort)))). :roll:

NicoleScripting
04-12-2017, 03:26 PM
WIP3: Arthur Clark. Mr. Clark is a British Scfi writer. My WIP3 is an autobiography. Yeah, that's my life. ((((Snort)))).

Cindyt, what have we told you about playing with your laser gun inside?

Every single thing comes out Agatha Christie.

Martys, were you perhaps born on January 12, 1876? With a love of archaeology and plot? Asking for a friend.

armydillo978
04-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Only submitted one, and got back Arthur C. Clarke.

Brechin Frost
04-12-2017, 04:49 PM
This is pretty funny.
I tried a portion from both parts of my books--tonally they're different, so I wanted to see... The one part came up Agatha Christie, the other Arthur Clarke. And then submitted a sonnet and got Vladimir Nabokov.

:D

Marlys
04-12-2017, 06:06 PM
Marlys, were you perhaps born on January 12, 1876? With a love of archaeology and plot? Asking for a friend.

Oddly enough, I am married to an archaeologist. But that birthday is a few years (and eight months) off.

M.S. Wiggins
04-12-2017, 09:50 PM
I got Arthur C. Clarke for one, and Anne Rice for another. The Clarke analysis didn’t surprise me, but the Rice one did for a brief eternity… then I gave it some thought and came away with, ‘Ah, I get it now.’

This was interesting and fun. Thank you for sharing.

Curlz
04-12-2017, 11:16 PM
I posted several different excerpts, which I thought had different style, and David Foster Wallace came up four times. Must be a glitch ;)

Cindyt
04-13-2017, 12:29 AM
Cindyt, what have we told you about playing with your laser gun inside?
But... but... Mommy!"

This is pretty funny.
I tried a portion from both parts of my books--tonally they're different, so I wanted to see... The one part came up Agatha Christie, the other Arthur Clarke. And then submitted a sonnet and got Vladimir Nabokov.

:D For kicks and giggles, I submitted Shakespeare's Sonnet 106. The results: William Shakespeare.

I got Arthur C. Clarke for one, and Anne Rice for another. The Clarke analysis didn’t surprise me, but the Rice one did for a brief eternity… then I gave it some thought and came away with, ‘Ah, I get it now.’

Are we related?

Brechin Frost
04-13-2017, 03:23 AM
For kicks and giggles, I submitted Shakespeare's Sonnet 106. The results: William Shakespeare.

I did that too. But with Sonnet 18 because it's the one I know from memory.

I did that with a few authors: Ben Jonson's To Celia=Daniel Defoe,
Christopher Marlowe's The Passionate Shepherd to his Love=James Joyce, and
Yeats' Leda and the Swan=Bram Stoker

Jason
04-13-2017, 03:57 AM
Yeah, that's a neat site to do some basic style determinations. There was another thread here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?326706-Figuring-out-what-kind-of-writer-you-are&p=10112679&viewfull=1#post10112679) where I'd shared the link to IWL as well as a few other sites. The takeaway from the other thread is to approach these online test sort of things with a grain of salt, because your writing style can change based on so many different factors. But, IWL is a fun diversion :)

Thanks for starting a dedicated thread for IWL

NicoleScripting
04-28-2017, 02:08 PM
The takeaway from the other thread is to approach these online test sort of things with a grain of salt, because your writing style can change based on so many different factors. But, IWL is a fun diversion :)
Jason, don't out me on procrastination. I'M TOTALLY WRITING ALL THE TIME. I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN THIS SILLY WEBSITE. :chair

Wind Ann Wise
02-14-2018, 06:52 AM
I tried it and I got Cory Doctorow. I had to Google him because I had no idea who that was. Still thought I should've gotten someone else, though.