What is Your Temper Trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I'm in the right forum for this, but I'm curious about something. I've noticed a lot of responses to posts that come across as "short". Short as in abrupt, grouchy and at times even hateful.

I know one trigger seems to be when folks don't look for information first. . .ask for help without helping themselves first. My pet peeve is hateful posts when there doesn't seem to be any reasoning for it. Do you have some particular pet peeve with posts? What triggers your ire enough to make a "short" reply?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i just hate question marks. they think they're so hot, with the curve and the dot.

smug bastards.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i just hate question marks. they think they're so hot, with the curve and the dot.

smug bastards.

?

:tongue

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
joe, please upload your avatar. i need that pic to engage you in conversation. thanks.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Without a doubt, the thing that is almost guaranteed to send me into a rage is when someone questions my integrity. It doesn't even matter how important the issue at hand is, either. It's almost like they're challenging my right to exist, or at least that's how my brain interprets the action. Weird.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Aww, gee, I'll take a chance on this one
smile.gif
Badgering in lieu of honest debating would be mine. There is a difference.

And then questions your very right to either exist or to hold an opinion.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
joe, please upload your avatar. i need that pic to engage you in conversation. thanks.

Better?

:)

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Do I have to pick just one??? (hehe)

My pet peeve is hateful posts when there doesn't seem to be any reasoning for it.
Without a doubt, the thing that is almost guaranteed to send me into a rage is when someone questions my integrity. It doesn't even matter how important the issue at hand is, either.
Both of these set me off, basically because they both seem unfair, and I HATE unfariness.

Yah, yah, I know. Nobody said life was fair, but it should be dammit!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Ten percent of people disagree with everything I say. Ten percent of people are idiots. Coincidence? I think not.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Fern said:
What triggers your ire enough to make a "short" reply?
I wonder whether the sample you took included any posts of mine. Sometimes I post in a hurry and give a brief answer to a question or make a minimal comment. Such posts are short in the literal sense and may be perceived as "short" the other way, too. I tend to keep to facts without the candy coating that socially smooth people apply so well – the demurrals such as "in my humble opinion," the hedges such as "you might consider that possibly...," and all that. Maybe that's why new people think I'm a man.

Some things do trigger my ire, but I try not to reveal it in posts. I end up holding private ire. What are these things? It irritates me when people cite a religious source as an authority on a secular issue; when they ask questions they could have answered for themselves, as you mentioned (hey, folks, get a dictionary and use it); when they give the wrong answer to a question about grammar; when I give the right answer or someone else does and they insist that the wrong way is right; when they say everyone makes grammatical and spelling errors (no, don't assume everyone is like you); when they quote a ten-paragraph post in its entirety, only to reply "I agree."

This is a partial list. I may be back later with more.

Joe Unidos

Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
It irritates me when people cite a religious source as an authority on a secular issue.

I couldn't agree more! Thank God you said it.

:D

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
Some things do trigger my ire, but I try not to reveal it in posts. I end up holding private ire.
At some point will you be having an Ire Sale?

Maryn, no stranger to awful puns

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:

smug bastards.

You're going to have to quit making me laugh when I'm trying to be serious. You seem to have a knack for causing Pepsi to be spewed all over my keyboard!

reph said:
I wonder whether the sample you took included any posts of mine. Sometimes I post in a hurry and give a brief answer to a question or make a minimal comment. Such posts are short in the literal sense and may be perceived as "short" the other way, too.

There seem to have been several lately by a variety of folks that I've noticed. I do recall one of yours lately seeming a bit short, but if I remember correctly, you softened it up a bit with further explanation. Most times I just chalk it up to personality. There are a few folks that are just more
"to the point" with their posts. They pretty much say whats on their mind and I figure they probably talk that way in their every day life. Others are just downright mean sounding and thats the ones that tic me off.

My problem is that I have to fight the need to jump in and "smooth" things over. . .even when it isn't remotely any of my business. Sorry, but its a character flaw I have.

Anyway, its interesting to see what sets everybody off.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Fern said:
My problem is that I have to fight the need to jump in and "smooth" things over. . .even when it isn't remotely any of my business. Sorry, but its a character flaw I have.
People who butt into a fight and try to smooth things over.:wag:

Status
Not open for further replies.