Oh yeah. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
In the midst of things that have been not great, I have been very proud of myself that I've not done a lot of preemptive falling apart over my oldest daughter's scheduled nest-leaving this coming fall. (She's confirmed to start Chapel Hill in August.)

Yeah, yeah. I know it will be sad when we have to drive away after setting up her dorm. I'll cry then, right?

Or today. Maybe today I will cry a lot.

I was just doing the Monday task of sorting out the bills, and I picked up out of the pile the appointment card from their dentist to enter the date and time on my calendar, because I'm so organized and put together that I do these things well in advance. I pulled up my calendar, looked at the date, and realized I scheduled the appointment for September. She won't be here. And it punched me in the damned throat.

Ouch.

ETA - She was six years old when I started here at AW.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, you're going to cry when you drive away, and yup, you'll be fine.

Much as it contains all these mama tears, this is a beautiful time.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yup, you're going to cry when you drive away, and yup, you'll be fine.

Much as it contains all these mama tears, this is a beautiful time.

I know! In fact, I've been so excited for her. She's so ready for new and interesting things. I've been all smiles about it---- until this morning. Ugh.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
For me the second year was hardest, when I knew *exactly* how much I'd miss them.

That said, those phone calls/texts/Facetime moments, no matter how mundane, will feel like bliss.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
(-: My daughter was in high school when I came to AW. She gave birth to her 3rd child in February. My, but life goes on.

I remember crying when we dropped her off for university in the great white north. I remember thinking a frigging bear would eat her as she made her way between dorm and classes (students periodically faced them, no kidding...along with other northern ontario wildlife). I remember thinking WHO WILL WATCH GILMORE GIRLS WITH ME WHILE WE MAKE SUPPER TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????I DON'T WANT TO LIVE ANYMORE.

I know your pain. Life changes. And then it changes. And then it changes again. I can promise you that you will get through this. This too shall pass. But I will also promise you that there will be days when you will want more than anything else in the world just to see her. Facetime with ice cream---you will thank me for that advice. She's in for an amazing experience. The rites of passage that our children experience are tremendous and tremendously difficult on them. For us, even as we step away bawling the pride outweighs the pain. You'll do this.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Oh, yeah. Was teary for a couple weeks after dropping child #1 at college. The worst was retraining myself to cook for four, not five. Took some getting used to. Of course, then he graduated, got a job, and moved back home while he saves up for a down payment because housing costs in this area are astronomical. Your nest may not be emptying as quickly as you think...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:Hug2:, Perks.

Somewhere in the last two weeks I became "Mom" instead of "Mama." Such a small thing, and still. Time is a relentless SOB.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score