Looking for Marathi (or Hindi) Translation

DanWendelstein

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there, ladies and gentlemen!

In my current story - a political thriller - I plan to include a scene that is set in a UN Peacekeeping checkpoint, staffed by members if the Bombay Engineer Group (aka the Bombay Sappers).

For that, I want to include several lines of chatter in genuine (if latinised) Marathi, or failing that, regular Hindi.
Unfortunately, I myself am German, so I would appreciate it very much if someone could take the time to translate the following five lines:

"Corporal! Why aren't the barrels in the depot yet? Is the snow a little too deep for you?"

"Of course I miss her. I wouldn't have let her with my mother-in-law if I had a choice."

"I couldn't stand being a career officer. I don't need four years at the academy for everyone to hate me."

"Sir, I've got a transmission coming through from the Danish station. Should I connect?"

"What do you mean I have kitchen duty? You have kitchen duty!"

Thanks in advance!

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
I can translate to Hindi for you.

But depends on the tone you want? Colloquial, respectful, sarcastic, angry? ANy other nuances you'd like to add?

DanWendelstein

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I'm looking for something more colloquial and sarcastic, resembling the casual banter among soldiers and their NCOs.
Except maybe Line #4 which can have a bit of a more of a respectful approach.

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
See below. City Indians tend to speak a lot of Hinglish. So you'll see somenEbglish words left as such. Also, some words translate awkwardly, and normal people would use English words, instead. (ex, transmission). See if others give you better information.

"Corporal! Why aren't the barrels in the depot yet? Is the snow a little too deep for you?"

“Corporal, bairal abhi tak dippo main kyon nahin hain? Baraf tere liye kuch zyada hain kya?”

"Of course I miss her. I wouldn't have left her with my mother-in-law if I had a choice."

“Haan, mujhe uski yaad aati hain. Koi aur chaara hota to mein usse mere saas ke saath chodke nahin aata.”

"I couldn't stand being a career officer. I don't need four years at the academy for everyone to hate me."

“Muhjse nahin hua officer career. Sab ki nafrat sar pe lene ke liye chaar baras akademi jaane ki koyi zaroorat nahin thi.”

"Sir, I've got a transmission coming through from the Danish station. Should I connect?"

“Sir, Danish station se ek message hain. Kya connect kar doon?”

"What do you mean I have kitchen duty? You have kitchen duty!"

“Kya matlab mein rasoi duty pe hoon? Rasoi duty pe tu hain.”

Last edited:

DanWendelstein

Registered
Reaction score
Could I just quickly ask for the translation of three further lines?
Other than the ones above, these require a sense of frantic urgency:

"Oh God(s)... Sound the alarm! Rally the corpsmen/medics!"

"Sergeant! Organise some stretchers! We have an emergency at hand."

"We move out at 1600 hours!"

Last edited: