EMBEDDING FONTS

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm having a problem with Ingram Spark re embedding fonts. Yes, my fonts are all embedded, but for some reason Time New Roman also comes up in pdf properties but is not embedded! That's fine, I didn't use Times, but when I loaded my ms it was rejected because "fonts are not embedded".

I figured if you can't beat them, join them, so I changed one line on my imprint page to Times, and pdf properties then showed that Times New Roman was embedded, but also showed another Times NOT embedded. Sigh.

I'm guessing it's the default font on the computer which is why it's appearing, but what do I know? I've tried contacting Ingram but they haven't replied to my plea for help. Has anyone else had this problem, or am I doing something wrong?

SandyC

Registered
Reaction score
Hello WriterBN, the ms is on Word 2007 and I used Word styles throughout, as I did for CS. Then I used an on-line pdf program, which I also did for CS, with no problem, even though Times appeared in the pdf properties without showing as embedded.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Ah, Word. All bets are off, then. I use Word extensively, but not for formatting books, so maybe someone else who has done so can chime in.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I also format stuff in Word, though I have 2010. It only includes the fonts in use, but "in use" can mean a blank line set to that font. I don't know if this is also true of 2007, but you can test this. Take a copy of your document for the test. Then select your whole document (hitting ctrl and A at the same time should do this). Set everything to one font. Now try converting that file and see what it embeds. If it works, you should have a file with only one font.

And if it does work, it means you need to check those blank lines on your original, to make sure they're all set to one of your chosen fonts.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Don't embedded fonts in Microsoft applications rely on the system fonts? So, if the font is not available on your system, it can't be embedded...

https://www.fontspring.com/support/installing/how-do-i-install-fonts-on-my-windows-pc

Something about the embedding of fonts here was bugging me, and I believe I mis-spoke in my prior comment. If a person has the fonts on their system, then it should not be necessary to embed fonts in a Word doc. Embedding fonts should only be done when it's not a commonly known system font like Courier New or something like that.

Speaking to where the option is to embed fonts in Word - the answer varies depending on what version of Office you are running. Here's the process in Word 2013

1. Click on File, then select Options to get to your Word option settings.
2. Go down to the 4th tab on the left where you should see the Save selection. Highlight that to get this screen:

embedding-fonts-e1491277375758.png

Checking that box will allow you to embed the font of your choice. If you do not have the font available on your system to embed, then installing the font would be still be needed.

So, essentially embedding fonts in a file allows others to work on that file even if they do not have the font on their system. As far as you editing and making Word docs on your system, I believe you have to have​ the font to be able to embed it.

Sleeping Cat Books

Booking design projects for fall
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sleepingcatbooks.com
If a person has the fonts on their system, then it should not be necessary to embed fonts in a Word doc. Embedding fonts should only be done when it's not a commonly known system font like Courier New or something like that.

So, essentially embedding fonts in a file allows others to work on that file even if they do not have the font on their system. As far as you editing and making Word docs on your system, I believe you have to have​ the font to be able to embed it.

It's absolutely not necessary to embed the fonts in the MS Word document (unless you intend to provide the Word doc to another computer - this is not at all recommended for book production purposes, even though CreateSpace will accept .doc, .docx, and .rtf files). However, it IS necessary to embed all used fonts in the PDF that you upload to the printer. If you do not embed the fonts, the computer to which you send the PDF must rely on its own fonts. If it does not have the font you used, it will substitute one, which could radically disrupt your formatting. When you embed the fonts in the PDF, then any computer can open that PDF and see exactly the same file, no matter what fonts are installed on that system.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's pretty much what I said...lol