A good idea to mention the similarity between your book and ... (read on please)

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
When you query an agent, do you think it's a good idea to mention the similarity between your book and a book written by an author represented by this agent? (and by extension, the difference as well?)

Thanks.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Generally, yes. If the books are too much alike, then no. Agents don't want competition for their other titles, but they do like books similar to other books they represent.

Hope that was clear.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I could easily be wrong here, but this idea for a query strikes me as a minefield. The query should be written in such a manner that the agent approached can grasp the story concept and make a judgment about its suitability for representation, without you, the author, telling the agent such things.

But that's just my opinion. Probably it would be better to hear from some people who have had success at querying.

caw

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
With Siri's advice in mind, I think it's fine to query an agent and include in the personalization section, "I'm querying you because you represent [author], whose book [TITLE] I love." Or something. I've done that. I just wouldn't say, "My book is exactly like [TITLE]!" or anything.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine to mention the book as a comp title ("I think it will appeal to fans of [book]" or "With an abundance of quirky characters in the vein of [book]" or however you feel it is similar) or in the Why You're Querying section. But I wouldn't make a big deal of trying to explain how it's the same but also different. The agent should be able to pick that up from a well-crafted query letter and sample pages.

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
Thanks, everyone!

I think it's fine to mention the book as a comp title ("I think it will appeal to fans of [book]" or "With an abundance of quirky characters in the vein of [book]" or however you feel it is similar) or in the Why You're Querying section. But I wouldn't make a big deal of trying to explain how it's the same but also different. The agent should be able to pick that up from a well-crafted query letter and sample pages.

Yes, that's a sound suggestion!