Different tiers of rejection (and the ones that actually feel kind of nice)

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
So before this year, I'd never attempted to publish before. I consider myself a novel writer, and my manuscript still needs a few rounds of beta-ing before I start querying. But ever since I joined AW, many have been very encouraging and suggested I start small by submitting short stories to literary mags to build publishing credit. While it makes total sense, I'd never really tried my hand at short stories until school forced me to this year. I always figured "I can't do that, I'm not a short story writer, my short stories aren't good enough, etc etc, the normal excuses."

Then my current workshop professor made it a mandatory assignment. Pick at least one story, submit to at least five magazines. Oh, fine. I ended up picking two and submitted several, and wasn't really surprised or hurt when I got a few rejections early on. After all, literally every writer gets rejected, and I know I'm new at the short story craft.

One of my professors was talking about the different levels of rejection, and about how most rejection letters are form letter "dear writer, this didn't fit, thanks for the chance etc etc" and she was talking about how sometimes you'll get a personal note.

Then she went on to talk about how sometimes, you get a rejection letter that doesn't even really hurt and can be kind of encouraging, because you'll get a personal note explaining that the piece just didn't fit even though they loved it. I didn't understand how rejection could feel like that, until I got one of those letters today.

Let me preface this by saying I never really expected anything but form letters. I went to into planning to complete the assignment.

Then I got today's email, and I was like, "wait, what?"

Basically the editor was kind enough to spend a few paragraphs explaining that while they loved my story, and while they thought my images and writing were excellent (a professional editor things I'm a good writer?!?! what?!!?), it just didn't fit their current issue. They even included a bit about the character and why they liked them, and what part of the story they thought I could tweak to make it stronger. They ended the email with a note reminding me not once, but twice, that they would love if I would submit to them again in the future in the same style, just with different themes. I read it a few times to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

I've also gotten one or two letters that were personal, and asked me to submit again, but the one today felt different. It was like the person really took the time. Like even if the story wasn't good enough to publish, it was just good enough to make them care, if only for a moment.

It's so weirdly gratifying to know that even if the story didn't work, someone still had interest in it. Instead of hurting the rejection letter boosted my confidence more than anything. It was less of "Well, I can't write" feeling and more of a "Well, I can write, I just didn't write the right thing" feeling. Maybe I can actually do this short story thing.

Does that make sense? Do I sound insane? Has anyone else experienced this weird feeling, where rejection almost feels encouraging, because you feel like you're getting closer?

Last edited:

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Makes total sense! I had the most lovely rejection from an editor for a novel. She was so kind about my writing that it was a big boost, even if that particular story wasn't for her. Same with agents - the personalised ones were mostly lovely and encouraging.

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting stories published :D

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Makes total sense! I had the most lovely rejection from an editor for a novel. She was so kind about my writing that it was a big boost, even if that particular story wasn't for her. Same with agents - the personalised ones were mostly lovely and encouraging.

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting stories published :D

I think the personal note goes a long way, especially with busy editors and agents.

That's awesome that she took the time to be so wonderful about it! What did she have to say?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I think the personal note goes a long way, especially with busy editors and agents.

That's awesome that she took the time to be so wonderful about it! What did she have to say?

Definitely. I was scared of the query process when I began but, by the end, I realised agents (and editors) are mostly lovely people who love books and the people who write them.

That particular editor had all kinds of nice things to say about my writing - that my dialogue was some of the wittiest and funniest she's read, that she was sure I had a future in writing, etc. She just didn't like the plot (and she was right; that novel is now in revisions).

Lillithain

Registered
Reaction score
I got a personalised rejection yesterday, on a story that I've submitted to a good few mags and always got form rejections on. It said similar things, that they enjoyed the story and had seriously considered it, but in the end it didn't fit with the issue overall. It gave me a bit of hope that the story was good, as I'd been feeling quite negative about it, and has convinced me to persevere with getting it published. It definitely gives you a boost to get a personal note; when I told my partner about it I think he thought I was a bit nuts! But it is very encouraging to know you're getting there, and someone thinks what you're submitting is good!

laura12

Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with blacbird, unfortunately rejection rarely feels like encouragement for me.
Having received countless rejections, I definitely do appreciate even just one paragraph of an email that is personalised. But on the other hand I do also understand why some organisations/publications just do not have the time to do so.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
When you get form rejections, then more form rejections it gets dispiriting, so even if you get a personal rejections it's a boost. They liked it enough to reply personally, and that's something special given the volume of submissions they have to wade through. Been there a few times and it's always one of those 'dang it, so close!' moments. *grumble grumble* Wish it was an acceptance now and again though.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Personalised rejections feel great, it's such a nice feeling of "you're close, keep going!". When an industry pro puts the time in to give you advice on how to improve, it's a fab boost.