Questions about contracts

Jennafern

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennnixon.com
I have a pending deal with a publisher in the UK. We've been emailing back and forth for a couple of weeks now and he has one out of three parts of my novel to begin editing.

This is a new publisher, but me being the cynical person I am, rightfully asked a bunch of questions about the company. He answered everything the right way (thanks to tips I learned from here) and they are even offering an advance.

My question is this, how long should I wait for a contract? I won't be sending the whole manuscript unless I have one and I know publishers and editors are busy so I don't want to seem anxious, despite the fact that I am.

I'm not really worried about then stealing the story because they won't have the whole thing, and plenty of people have read it and know I wrote it, so that's not really an issue...I just don't know how long to wait before *ahem* asking for a contract.

Any advice, as always, is appreciated.

Jenn

Jennafern

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennnixon.com
But how long should I wait before I "ask-remind" them to send me one? It's only been two weeks or so and I don't want to seem pushy.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
If this is a major London print publisher, it could easily be MONTHS. They probably have a legal department and you're only one of dozens or hundreds they're working on. But they also won't push you for the manuscript until it's signed by both sides, so no worries. If it's a smaller pub, it probably won't be more than a couple more weeks. Then you definitely don't want to release the full ms. until you have the contract in hand, SIGNED. After all, you might have concerns in the contract that you didn't know about. If it's an epub, you should already have the contract. Feel free to drop your editor a line. :)

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
I'm unpublished, so take this for what it's worth. It would seem to me, since you've been emailing back and forth, a breezy email mentioning that you're looking forward to signing the contract when it arrives, making sure they have your correct address in their file, etc. would work.

Just my two cents,
Chac

ETA: But, as always, I will defer to the expert who posted at the same time :) Thanks, Cathy.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
FWIW, my agent negotiated the deal with my publisher, at which point the publisher began editing and commisioning cover art. It was several more weeks before I actually signed the contracts. And then they had to send them back to me to initial a small change.

I can't imagine any problem with e-mailing and asking when you should expect to see the contract.

Jennafern

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennnixon.com
jchines said:
FWIW, my agent negotiated the deal with my publisher, at which point the publisher began editing and commisioning cover art. It was several more weeks before I actually signed the contracts. And then they had to send them back to me to initial a small change.

I can't imagine any problem with e-mailing and asking when you should expect to see the contract.

That's good info I didn't know before, thank you very much!
Jenn