• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking CP/Beta Reader Exchange for NA / WF

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamBig2014

Copywriter / WF & NA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE: CP/Beta found. Thanks, everyone!

:chores Hello writerly friends!

I have a 105k contemporary NA / women's fiction manuscript that has been beta read and is out on submission with full & partial requests out. Before sending out the next round of queries, I'd like a fresh/impartial pair of eyes and would be willing to beta read for you.

:snoopy:My book preferences are ideally YA, NA, WF. I also enjoy a good romance (especially flawed/not meant to be/the one that got away) mixed in and am drawn to psychological themes, contemporary, light magic, etc. And trust me, I'm no prude. :Thumbs:

A little urgency is needed but I know you have a life and will thus keep my expectations realistic. I'm thinking we could exchange chapter for chapter reactions, shooting for 2-3 a week. Depending on length, of course. But we can work it out and agree on a schedule together.

Feedback I'm looking for and will give: overall plot reactions, emotional reactions, character analysis, obvious issues (repeating phrases, wordiness, telling vs. showing, etc.), praise for what is working, suggestions for what is not working, and obvious spelling/wording issues (not line by line- just anything that sticks out), etc. We could even exchange an agreed upon list of questions for the end of each chapter as to keep our feedback structured & moving along. Lastly- I value honesty. I do have a cheerleader style of giving feedback, but I will be honest about problems and expect the same.

In a perfect world, we'd also help each other tweak our queries & synopsises after. :whip: I'd love it if a long term CP relationship blossomed out of this, but my focus (for now) is simply seeing if our styles work well together.

Below is a sample query I've been using to give you an idea of what my book is about (while this query has resulted in requests, I realize it is a little flat/needs work- hence, my need for a new pair of eyes!). If you're interested, please DM me and we'll decide if we're a good fit for each other. :) Thanks in advance for considering and have a wonderful day!

The life Ally Winters envisioned for herself was going to be one of adventure, world travel, and writing. Abortion, heartbreak, and crippling depression were never part of the plan. But then again, Ally’s learning most things that happen rarely are.

After studying abroad, Ally returns to Minnesota refreshed and full of ambition. Landing a place of her own, a job, and the affection of the gorgeous Derek Roman, she believes she’s finally arrived at the tarmac of her real life- that is until Gabe Fitch returns. As kids, Gabe was her solace from depression and the chaos of a broken home just as she helped him navigate bipolar disorder and family tragedy; but the intense and often obsessive connection that tethered them throughout high school is what propelled her out of the country in the first place. Once again confronted with the big unanswered question of her past, Ally suddenly finds herself trapped as her relationship with Derek takes an abusive detour and she becomes pregnant. Desperate for a redo, she caves to Derek’s demands for an abortion and is immediately met with devastating consequences. With each new decision, Ally stumbles further and further down a dark path of self-destruction. To fight her way back to the woman she’s supposed to be, Ally must confront her demons and learn to pick up the pieces without Gabe, without Derek, and without reason to believe she can.

THE GRAVITY OF WINTER is a 105,000-word coming-of-age, women's fiction novel that explores one woman’s struggles with ambition, unhealthy relationships, and mental illness as painful choices teach her the true meaning of love, friendship, and sacrifice. THE GRAVITY OF WINTER also features a dual timeline format.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.