• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a long term CP/mentor for YA Fantasy, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nine_Dead_Alps

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I’d love to find a long term critic partner or mentor for a YA Fantasy I’m working on. I’m currently only 20k in, and I’m a tad stuck.

Summary:

Wolves roam the streets of Beldenn, spreading a strange and deadly disease that slowly turns a person’s blood black. What lures them away from the city each night is equally as peculiar, a necromancer, pied-piper girl named Eloise Vexley.

Garnet Keating, a thief struggling to keep her hands firmly in her pockets, is convinced there’s a way to be free from the tripe shop she lodges above as well as the overbearing family that run it, who her sister married into. But when Garnet steals from Eloise, she’s thrown into a war where the dead fight the dead.

Themes:

Death, family, clinging to the past, and friendship.

Searching for:

Someone to kick my arse into gear. I’ve been too cagey and finicky lately. I worry I’m focusing on the wrong things…on a damn first draft! But I’m obsessive like that. If I can't get past a bump in the road, I can’t continue until I’ve dug the thing out with a dump truck.

Beta reader experience:

I’ve been a beta reader for 3 years now, and I have even beta’ed for one of the 2016 Pitch Wars mentees. I prefer to give a ‘reader’s response’ rather than a full blown grammar Nazi overhaul, as most drafts I’ve read have always been early ones. My responses are all via MS Word Doc comments, and I’ll give feedback on what I enjoy, what confuses me, inconsistences, and what bores me, etc. I’ll always elaborate why to explain each reaction.

Writing experience:

Since 2014, I’ve managed to complete two full manuscripts, neither of which I’ve queried because I felt they were never up to scratch. The closest I’ve come to pitching is Pitch Wars and that didn’t go according plan…

So, yeah, would greatly appreciate feedback.

Thanks for reading this. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.