PDA

View Full Version : A good article on motivation

blacbird
03-20-2017, 06:24 AM
I'm not quite sure what forum I should post this in, and I'm also aware that most people here would think I'm the last person likely to post such an article, but I ran across this today, and thought it was worth a look:

http://www.businessinsider.com/15-ways-to-drown-out-the-negative-voice-in-your-head-2017-3

Now, I'm also not a big fan of this particular publication, but that's sort of an ad hominem. I did think this had value.*

caw

*Even if it ain't likely to work for me.

Emily Winslow
03-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Thanks, Blacbird!

I especially liked this one:

"3. What you tell yourself: "I'm not in the mood.What you should think or do instead: "Procrastinate with purpose."

That's what Krysa, who is also an artist, does when she doesn't feel like tackling a big task.

"Maybe that means I go into the studio and I use that hour to tidy everything up. Or maybe I go to the art supply store and stock up on everything I'm low on," Krysa says. "But the interesting thing is, when I do that, I end up getting creatively jazzed up again."

Fill your time with productive tasks that will indirectly lead you toward your goal, she suggests."

That inspires me more than the more direct "don't you dare step away from the blank page you're just staring at because right now is writing time."

Ari Meermans
03-20-2017, 06:03 PM
It was a good article, blac. Thank you. Sometimes an article may not seem to apply to us individually on that first surface read, but if it spurs us to view our own situation in a different light, it can spark deeper thought. I have somewhat different negative talk and motivation issues than those addressed in the article, yet it does make me want to explore my own issues and look for more constructive ways of handling them.

SciSarahTops
03-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Thank you for this. My inner critic is a total cow.

Carrie in PA
03-20-2017, 07:34 PM
Waaaiiiit, was your account hacked??? :evil

Excellent article with actual concrete suggestions. Nice find.

Manuel Royal
03-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Good article. I'll read it again more carefully; maybe it'll help me refocus on my moribund project.

vicky271
04-28-2017, 07:27 AM
Thanks for sharing! I've bookmarked it for future reading!

mike33phillip
05-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Great article! Thanks for sharing!

_lvbl
06-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Thank you for this read :)