The Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittyleroy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've always called it The Novel. I'm a newbie - an artist, writer, traveller, wild west nut intrigued by science, and renaissance soul - and I've been needing my novel critiquing forever (30 years to be precise!). The story of my western novel goes like this: I'm a wild west enthusiast (www.kitty-le-roy.co.uk) who dons guns and breeches at living history camps in the UK, and I've been writing my novel since the birth of my daughter, 32 years ago, on and off. The writing of it helped keep me sane during young parenthood and depression. It's called Alias Jeannie Delaney, and it's the life story of a devastating cowgirl/outlaw/jailbird/deputy/rancher/mayor who's the fastest gun in the west and also bisexual. I've been very self conscious and embarrassed about the subject matter, but after my recovery from depression, starting three years ago, I decided it was time to get it out there.

I've been posting outline and chapters on Facebook and receiving excellent critiques, advice and encouragement, but a writing friend reminded me that posting online is considered 'publishing' by some potential publishers, so they would never take me on. It's a rather grey area, apparently. Anyway, I've decided I will probably e-publish, or self publish, and a good option would be to join a private critique group, so here I am! I have written the whole plot, but it's very much a beginning, muddle and end. Having posted on Facebook, I'm assured that it's not rubbish and not to be embarrassed about it! All I need to know now is what my next step here is. (And that's not good English, is it? :-D!). All I need to know is, what is my next step here? (That sounds odd too...).

Jo alias Kitty

Ps. My other writing is light hearted anecdotes (many of which I've had published in various publications) - quite the opposite of the above, which is my only novel. I write my own blog, Creating My Odyssey www.joclutton.simplesite.com which is chronicling the rebuild of my creative lifestyle after my miraculous (and it was!) recovery from depression. I'm hoping to encourage, inspire and give some enjoyment (hopefully) to people with mental health issues and other creatives.

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Congrats on making a decision about self-publishing, and taking some steps toward that goal! Becoming a part of this forum is a great step, I feel (I'm kinda new to it myself but I used to be on here around 10 years ago and I lurked a lot back then lol; it's a pretty neat place, very supportive). I think connecting with other writers and talking shop is super important regardless of where you are in the writing/publishing process.

I also definitely think people will be happy to give you feedback on some of your work once you've settled in here a bit; you have to make 50 or more posts before you can post in Share Your Work and get that feedback, but that's kinda great because it gives you the chance to get to know people and offer some feedback to others as well. I myself am intrigued by your story, partly due to the fact that the main character is bi (being a lesbian myself I love reading LGBT fic of all genres; my own stories are stuffed full of LGBT+ characters). And as for looking into self-publishing, there are sub-sections of the forum with information you can access to help you get started, as you probably already know (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?47-Self-Publishing-Print-Digital-Papyrus-or-Clay and http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?233-Publishing-FAQs-and-Resources are great places to start).

I also think it's great that you have this blog where you talk about mental health issues and creativity! I suffer from depression and anxiety and just recently got it more under control (it's amazing what the right meds will do once you finally find them, lol). Anyway, welcome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.