PDA

View Full Version : CreateSpace question

Laer Carroll
03-18-2017, 02:59 PM
I'm generally happy with the print-on-demand books I get from CreateSpace. But the covers curl up when you open the books to read them. So far I've specified each book to be created with a glossy finish. If I changed that to matte finish would the problem go away, or to least be less extreme?

WriterBN
03-18-2017, 08:21 PM
I switched from glossy to matte and the cover curl problem (while not completely absent) was significantly less noticeable.

Ideally, I'd prefer a matte finish with a UV coat, but I think that's beyond the reach of a POD setup.

augusto
03-19-2017, 05:07 AM
I've used matte on all of mine and haven't noticed a problem.

Cindyt
03-19-2017, 08:14 AM
This is good to know. I chose matte for my first book and will continue to do so with the others. Thanks for sharing!

Old Hack
03-19-2017, 11:47 AM
I've been sent lots of books from CreateSpace and other POD printers over the years and almost all of them have some degree of curl to the covers. The high-gloss covers do seem to be more badly affected, though. And I'm not sure it's a good look for books: if you browse around a bookshop a bit, and look at the books there, very few use it. Spot-gloss can work well when used in moderation, but I'm not sure CreateSpace offers this option.

WriterBN
03-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Spot-gloss can work well when used in moderation, but I'm not sure CreateSpace offers this option.
No, they don't. I wish they did!