My short story is out in the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
The anthology featuring my story 'Abacus' came out this week -- yay! I just received my 'author's copy' (teehee!) in the mail, which is very exciting.

It's my first publication (double yay!), and even better, the anthology is a fundraiser for the Save the Tasmanian Devil Appeal here in Australia! So that's the super-good stuff!

The not-so-super is that my name AND occupation are incorrectly spelled in my author bio. :( I can see how they missed 'Cover' (it's an actual word, after all, and even I didn't catch it at first), but is there even such a thing as a 'copyrighter'? (AW's spellcheck says no.)

So although this IS a momentous, landmark occasion in my Life as A Writer, I guess my excitement feels a little more subdued than I'd hoped. Okay, expected. I'm even feeling reluctant to spruik the book to my friends and fam... Those errors just seem so... amateur?

Anyway, I am excited - I am! - and I'm also feeling inspired to forge ahead with one of the new stories I've been mulling over for far too long, which is a good outcome in itself. This is my first publication, but I'm determined it won't be my last!

Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can understand being upset about the errors, but this is a momentous occasion. Celebrate! Tell all your family and friends and let them celebrate with you.

Congratulations. :hooray:

AustinF

Banned
Reaction score
The anthology featuring my story 'Abacus' came out this week -- yay! I just received my 'author's copy' (teehee!) in the mail, which is very exciting.

It's my first publication (double yay!), and even better, the anthology is a fundraiser for the Save the Tasmanian Devil Appeal here in Australia! So that's the super-good stuff!

The not-so-super is that my name AND occupation are incorrectly spelled in my author bio. :( I can see how they missed 'Cover' (it's an actual word, after all, and even I didn't catch it at first), but is there even such a thing as a 'copyrighter'? (AW's spellcheck says no.)

So although this IS a momentous, landmark occasion in my Life as A Writer, I guess my excitement feels a little more subdued than I'd hoped. Okay, expected. I'm even feeling reluctant to spruik the book to my friends and fam... Those errors just seem so... amateur?

Anyway, I am excited - I am! - and I'm also feeling inspired to forge ahead with one of the new stories I've been mulling over for far too long, which is a good outcome in itself. This is my first publication, but I'm determined it won't be my last!

Whaaat!? That's awesome, congrats! Bummer about the name though... One day they'll look back and be like, "We misspelled the name of the great Ellis Clover, oh the humanity!!"

Last edited:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Congratulations! That's great your story got published :D Argh, how frustrating they spelled your name wrong, and I totally understand your hesitation in pimping it out to friends and family. Just use this as a spur to get your work into more professional publications. It will be doubly satisfying when you get that next piece published, this time with your correct name!

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Definitely share with friends and loved ones, this is too important to let a few spelling errors get in the way of that!!

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, CameronJohnston - that's definitely the attitude I'm taking!

Thank you Phantasmagoria and Mary Love, much appreciated!

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Well done, very exciting. I would also be beyond annoyed about the spelling - grrr! Is there an online version they can correct it on? Because when submitting other anthologies for your next story, you can send the link to the corrected online version? Is it a one off anthology, or is it a regular publication? If it's a regular publication, I'm sure they'll print an apology in the next one? Definitely worth asking.

A great confidence boost. Where can we read your story?

Status
Not open for further replies.