March 2017 Blizzard check in thread

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
According to the National Weather Service, most of the north east is having snoooooowwwww.

I'm watching the snow fall even now, feeding birds, writing, and thawing wild blueberries for blueberry muffins.

Snow started almost exactly at 8 AM here. It's accumulated enough to cover the patio in front of the French doors; the Welcome mat is almost invisible.

How's your snow day ?

Is this a writing day for you?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working from home today thanks to snow, which saves me from ~2.5 hours of round-tripping through traffic. So there's that going ror it.

Sitting here with my laptop near a window, which often has a cat sitting in it, twitching & chirruping at veils of snow whizzing past. He could catch this! If only we'd let him out!! to try!! Meow!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've been "upgraded" from an anticipated 12 - 18 inches to 18 - 24 inches. So far we have about three inches and a bit of wind. We've grocery shopped recently and brought firewood under cover, so we're good even if the power goes out.

I'm trying to lose weight (story of my adult life!) but am sorely tempted to bake bread this afternoon while the snow keeps coming down. I haven't baked in a long time and alas, I have no wild blueberries in my freezer.

Maryn, who might also write today

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in midtown Manhattan the blizzard warning has been cancelled, and we're currently experiencing a wintry mix (I woke up to the sound of sleet hitting my apartment window). Our afternoon rehearsal was cancelled last night, with tonight's preview performance still on the iffy side.

I'm hoping we'll perform tonight (I have friends coming to the show) but I'm grateful for a respite from rehearsal. Laundry and general housecleaning beckons, but with this extra time, maybe - just maybe - I'll feel inspired to write, too!

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We've been "upgraded" from an anticipated 12 - 18 inches to 18 - 24 inches. So far we have about three inches and a bit of wind. We've grocery shopped recently and brought firewood under cover, so we're good even if the power goes out.

I'm trying to lose weight (story of my adult life!) but am sorely tempted to bake bread this afternoon while the snow keeps coming down. I haven't baked in a long time and alas, I have no wild blueberries in my freezer.

Maryn, who might also write today

You know losing weight is easier (and more pleasant) if you're not always pining.

BAKE THE BREAD!

Eat some while it's fresh and hot, and freeze the rest for a treat when you need it.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't you smart? (Some of us suspected as much.) I happen to have eight tiny loaf pans, so maybe I'll make mini-loaves.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't you smart? (Some of us suspected as much.) I happen to have eight tiny loaf pans, so maybe I'll make mini-loaves.

That's the spirit!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Same as ms.m up there, woke up to the sound of sleet hitting the windows, hard, driven by crazy winds. We were meant to get 12-18", I think we got like half a foot? Less?

Make mini-loaves!

I'm vaguely considering trying B'way tonight for lottery or cheapy last-minute tix, since it's on but everyone assumed it was going to close, but I have a suspicion everyone is going to do the same thing.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Southeastern Canada is expected to get the same storm, but not as much snow in most spots.

We're getting around 10-15 cm of snow (that's 4-6 inches) then about 25 mm or more of rain on top of it. It hasn't started here yet.

I hope everyone in the path of that thing stays safe and warm.

Not a writing day for me, it's a promote your book day. Husband and Son are home, no quiet time for this crazy little Nova Scotian.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Ice.

Bleh. The Tibetan/Chinese poopsies hate rain/sleet/ice. And I hate unhappy poopsies. :greenie

Our power flickered wildly for about three hours this morning, but a slight rise in temps around noon has relieved most of the trees and wires in the area. Lots of folks without power around the Delaware Valley today. Fast-freeze forecast for tonight.

I smell bread.

I'M HAVING A STROKE!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're now around 24" and it's still coming down. There's a travel advisory in effect, no unnecessary travel, and many businesses and virtually all schools are closed--but that doesn't stop some employers from demanding people come in. Lots of minor accidents as cars lose traction turning ever so slowly, blocking intersections and entrance ramps and in one case, narrowly avoiding tragedy. A car spun out on a turn, jumped the snowbank, broke through a fence, and plunged 175 feet into a river gorge. The driver was treated and released. I hope he played the lottery, because clearly that was his lucky day.

We're fine, no more than momentary flickering of the lights a few times. Our plow service is turning out to be worth hiring after all. (I don't mind shoveling and need winter exercise, but this would have been ridiculous!) The only issues are a neighbor who can't get into the driveway parking illegally on the street, so it's hard for the plow guy to get at our driveway, and the internet going out for very short periods. Not a big deal.

Our Boston daughter, anticipating far worse, got off easy. She reports six inches of snow followed by rain. Local roads were icy this morning, but major roads and highways passable. She went to work and reported a shorter commute than usual because of very light traffic.

Everybody else affected by Stella, stay safe and drive with caution and courtesy.

Maryn, urging pearls and white gloves

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Ice.

Bleh. The Tibetan/Chinese poopsies hate rain/sleet/ice. And I hate unhappy poopsies. :greenie

Our power flickered wildly for about three hours this morning, but a slight rise in temps around noon has relieved most of the trees and wires in the area. Lots of folks without power around the Delaware Valley today. Fast-freeze forecast for tonight.

I smell bread.

I'M HAVING A STROKE!

We just got our power back the other day. After two days of trying in sleep in rooms that were about thirty degrees and seeing that we were going to have lows of 5 degrees, the boyfriend and I said screw it. I went to my parents with the cats, and he went to a friends for a couple days. So when we got the call from our neighbor that our power had come back on I nearly wept with joy lmao

I think it was over 900,000 DTE customers in Michigan alone that were without power and 300,000 Consumer customers for at least a few days. Totally bananas. The CEO of DTE had a punch of PR ads going on practically every radio station apologizing for how long it was taking and explaining what they were doing because it was the biggest outage in DTE history. I never realized how much I appreciated being able to flip on a light switch! Hopefully you guys don't lose power. It's waaay too cold right now to be without heat.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Atlantic City Electric still has about 16,000 customers in S.J. blacked out. Including my 95+ MIL. Who refused to leave home last night or today. We've gotten her some wood for the fireplace (less terrifying than lighting a kerosene heater and coming back home). BIL will allegedly stay with her until her power's back. (Note to self: call Mom.)

That bread thing has subsided.

*sits down*

*stands up*

*walks like an Egyptian*

*does Snoopy dance*

*thinks of a number between 1 and 9*

*wonders how many fingers I have*

Yeah, I'm good.

:greenie