thoughts on fanmail!!

fairphyllis

Registered
Reaction score
Helloooo :)

I'm a total newbie here so apologies if there is a better place for this thread! I haven't quite got my bearings yet but I like this forum a lot.

OK, so I have never written fanmail to a writer in my entire life because I am too shy and never want to bother my idols with my inconsequential thoughts :( But tonight something just came over me and I was feeling so so inspired by many things and wrote this ridiculously long rambling email to one of my favourite and most adored writers. I'm kind of glad I did because I had a sudden sense of how short life is and that I can't go through it without meaningfully thanking the people who have made it richer and she really really has. But but but it was such fangirl spew that I now feel super embarrassed and kind of sad like I should remain in my little shell forever.

Do you guys write fanmail to your favourites? Do they ever write back? What have been some good experiences (or bad, or neutral!) you have had in striking up a correspondence with a writer?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am actually on the other side of this question. I've been getting a lot of posts, on Facebook, on my website, and on twitter. I can't speak for every writer in the universe, but personally I get a huge kick out of it and I read every single one. So I wouldn't worry. The main message is "me like book", and that's hard to take the wrong way.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've written bits of fanmail twice. Once, when an author whose book I love followed me back on Twitter. I figured since the avenue of communication was open, I'd send her a PM and just thank her for the book and how much it did for me (writing guide). She responded very pleasantly and that was that.

The other, another writing guide, recommended reaching out to local writers and making connections. She happened to be local to me, soooo...

Thanks to that risky bit of fanmail, I met my local writing group and have made the most wonderful friends and memories. :) So, so worth it.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I received a lot of fan mail for Yoga for Prosperity. (I included my then email address in the resource guide.) And I loved getting the emails...except for the two from people who wanted me to rearrange their lives for them. So...as long as it's not exploitative, go for it!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Circa 1970's some time, I wrote my one and only fanmail letter I ever sent.

It was to Terry Brooks after I finished the Sword of Shannara.

I actually got a response from him too - personalized postcard with his actual handwriting!

:)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sending: I've emailed one of my heroes to say I apprsciated his work, and to ask a couple questions about his early career and what he looked for in finding his agent. Yeah, I worried lke you did that I was coming off too starry-eyed. He replied the next day with the answers. Ace guy. I wish he'd write more books.

Recieving (I'm only minimally published, just so you know): Mostly positive comments to posted stories, but one very nice email exchange regarding how I developed the story idea and how I framed my submission letter.

For the most part, don't be a fawning fanchild (and probably okay if you do a little bit), don't come off as the interaction being more than it is ("We're best buds Mr Faulkner because I lived in Mississippi 50 years after you did"), okay to be praisey but keep it to things you as a writer would want to talk about, and you're 99% good. Also, who knows? I know several people who developed productive professional relationships and friendships that started with fanmail.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written to comic books artists about pictures they've done I liked on Twitter and they've responded. They seemed appreciative of the compliments. One did a couple of pictures for me when he was selling some art because he didn't have the characters I was looking for. That was really great of him.

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I helped my son write to an author he really loved and she took the time to write back! He was so excited.

I get ridiculously excited when I post about an author I like on Twitter and they like my post. I feel like an awed little kid again.