Metric Time

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I created some metric time nomenclature I kind of think is neat. Since I'm playing around with it, I thought I'd share it.

Prana-second

Sahasraprana- 1000 seconds, 16 mins 40 secs. Sahasra, or Kilosecond

Muhurta- Three kiloseconds. 50 minutes. Trisahasra.

Ayutaprana- ten thousand seconds. Two hours fourty two minutes. Ayutas. Myriasecond

Tithi- One hundred thousand seconds, 27 hours 46 minutes. Laksha, Lakh. 'Day'.

Prayuta- One Million Seconds, 11.6 days Megasecond. Paksa. 'Week.'

Kotiprana- Ten Million Seconds, 116 days, Myriasecond, Kotisecond

Ayana- two Koti, seven months 22 days, approximately. 'Year' (shorter)

Vrndaprana- One hundred Prayuta, 1160 days, three years four months. 'Year' (longer)

Abjaprana- One billion seconds, 31.7 years. Gigasecond.

Kharvaprana- Ten Billion seconds, 317 years. Terasecond

You'll see the innovation is I mix Sanskrit and Latin, Sanskrit is exceptionally good about naming specific quantities. Whenever I try writing anything SF that uses metric time, I find there are a lot of holes as you go up the logarithmic scale. I try to think of what a 'day' or a 'year' would be to someone using metric time, y'know, just a relatable amount of time, and come up short, these terms help me fill in those gaps. It's helpful, and I think any future SF society using metric time would be with just as likely to preserve Sanskrit as it would Latin and Greek. Would love to know what you other fold would do in these situations, & feel free to use it if y'want.

EDIT- Oh yeah, and it's modular, so you can switch out prana with second whenever you want. I kind of imagine quantities of time 'at home' would be primarily Sanskrit term, and more technical settings (so spaceships and stuff) you'd use the Greek.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always taken it as a point of faith that you'd never change the definition of a standard second within human culture, because it's so fundamental to so many physics/math/engineering/electrical formulae and constants. This raises the problem, though, of how to handle days on different worlds, very few of which will conveniently rotate in exactly 24 hours.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The French attempted this in real life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

Fascinating! I always wondered if they would define a second as the time to fall from rest to one meter (which is 0.45 seconds; it would have to fall 5 meters to equal 1 second, and 4 meters to equal 0.9 seconds, which is about one decimal second coincidentally).

But whether based on falling or decimalizing a day or a year, it's still relative to Earth. My mind scrambles for a system that could be truly universal.

To the OP, for the sake of your Earthling readers, I think getting too far away from conventional measures will cause confusion rather than build a coherent universe. For example, if the main character is described as being 7 vrdnaprana, I'm not very likely to pull out my calculator to figure out if I should be picturing a child, a young adult, or an old man. Even in context (he leaves his toys around, his knees are shot) it could pull me too far out of the story.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
A greatly superior system will be going to decimal fractions of a day and not calling the tenths, hundredths, etc. anything other than that. Then we might want to establish a standard day and have the count of days starting at a particular point and express it as: Star date 2,450,000.45.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
To the OP, for the sake of your Earthling readers, I think getting too far away from conventional measures will cause confusion rather than build a coherent universe.

That's the fear, I suppose the converse is that 'days', 'weeks', and 'months' in a space-type setting tend to pull me out just as hard. Plus I have a love of mythic-sounding jargon, and intend these as terms reserved for ritual and ceremony as much as technical language. Plus, ideally, there'd be a chart.

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
I admire the spirit of innovation that went into generating that system. The labeling you chose is definitely internally consistent, but the words seem too long for every day use. Do you anticipate that your characters would abbreviate?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the fear, I suppose the converse is that 'days', 'weeks', and 'months' in a space-type setting tend to pull me out just as hard. Plus I have a love of mythic-sounding jargon, and intend these as terms reserved for ritual and ceremony as much as technical language. Plus, ideally, there'd be a chart.

The chart would help. I do admire the consistency, too, and such a creative way to fill in the gaps between kilo and mega second. Much better than "trikilosecond" or "demimegasecond" or something like that.

I've been thinking back to non-Earth worlds I've read, be they Lord of the Rings or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (okay, which has an Earthling MC) and the units of time used have been invisible to me. Although I was aware that a Middle Earth day by all rights should be expected to be different than ours, I was never pulled out of the story by the similarity. I guess it could to others, though.

JonnyTheDean

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting concept, but far too much for me to try and remember I'm afraid. Such a system would have me having to constantly flick to the glossary, which would punt me out of the story spectacularly.

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
Joan D. Vinge's "Outcasts of the Heaven Belt" (1978) used metric time. Its space-based civilizations didn't have any reason to keep sidereal time.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I created some metric time nomenclature I kind of think is neat. Since I'm playing around with it, I thought I'd share it.

Prana-second
Sahasraprana- 1000 seconds, 16 mins 40 secs. Sahasra, or Kilosecond
Muhurta- Three kiloseconds. 50 minutes. Trisahasra.
Ayutaprana- ten thousand seconds. Two hours fourty two minutes. Ayutas. Myriasecond
Tithi- One hundred thousand seconds, 27 hours 46 minutes. Laksha, Lakh. 'Day'.
Prayuta- One Million Seconds, 11.6 days Megasecond. Paksa. 'Week.'
Kotiprana- Ten Million Seconds, 116 days, Myriasecond, Kotisecond
Ayana- two Koti, seven months 22 days, approximately. 'Year' (shorter)
Vrndaprana- One hundred Prayuta, 1160 days, three years four months. 'Year' (longer)
Abjaprana- One billion seconds, 31.7 years. Gigasecond.
Kharvaprana- Ten Billion seconds, 317 years. Terasecond
Quite inventive but I can't see how it will look in practical terms. You kow, how would a date be formatted? Or how would one express things like "This star was born XXXXX [amount of time] ago"? Or, "It will take us XXXXX [amount of time] to get to the nearest galaxy" ?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Alternative" time systems obviously do work (Captain's log, star date 2343.3. Spock continues to eye my donut...) They add a nice flavor of 'future' or 'alien', depending on your story.

The trick is to give the reader a feeling of how long the quoted time interval is, and not to make it a story requirement to understand the exact duration. Take kiloseconds-- about 17 minutes each. "I need to shower and shave. Won't be more than a kil." And less than one kilosecond later, Fred was out, looking cleaner than he'd ever been.

That's all the establishing you need, really.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The other prominent Vinge used metric time as well, to good effect IMHO in his 'X upon the/in the X' series, always wanted to try and emulate that. I guess it's system that works well as rpg sidebar material, but falls short as a literary trick. Thanks for the good work, tho.