Third person limited present or past tense?

Vernalire

Registered
Reaction score
Simple question. Found mixed reviews? I hear screenplays nowadays do present third limited and omniscient and I've heard of some novels doing it in present third. Any suggestions?
Personally I like the here it's happening now feel, but don't mind the "this is what happened. Then that happened" but definitely prefer the now.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly. I don't know about screenplays, but the best way to find out what sort of approach they use is to read some.

As for novels, yes, I've read a few fantasy novels in third person (limited) present, though I've run across more present tense novels in first person. The approach is more common in YA than in adult, though I've read plenty of recent YA novels in past tense as well, and even a few in omniscient third. I can't recall seeing an omniscient third pov done in present. The point of present tense is to make the story feel more immediate and in the moment, something that omniscient narratives are generally not shooting for. Never say never, though.

Overall, I tend to prefer past-tense narratives in any viewpoint (though it feels more comfortable to me in first than in limited third), but that's because past tense was very much the norm when I was growing up. I feel it's possible to write a deep, "in the moment" feeling narrative (in first or third) that is in past tense. However, when present tense is done really well, I often don't notice it right away. It just feels like the right way to tell the story and doesn't call attention to itself.

If you haven't read a lot of recent fantasy or SF that's in third-person, present tense, maybe that's because it's not a very popular approach. Or maybe it's because your tastes don't lie in that direction. I think present tense is more commonly used in first-person, and it's fairly popular in YA fantasy. I'd suggest you pick a narrative viewpoint that feels natural for you, that's similar to the approach used by your favorite authors, because if you try to force something you haven't read a lot of (just because someone has told you it's the "done thing" these days), it may not work very well.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Screenplays are *always* in present tense and omniscient because of the format - the screenplay describes what is happening.

Novels do all sorts of things. I've written some third person present tense. It's not nearly as common as first person present tense though. And in fantasy that isn't urban or paranormal, third person past is overwhelmingly the default.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been reading more secondary world fantasy told in first person in recent years, though past tense is still more common in adult fantasy. There are plenty of exceptions, however.

Some editors dislike present tense, as do some readers, but there are also people who love it. You have to write to please yourself. There are no guarantees, but if you do a really good job, there's a chance it will find a market.

Last edited:

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
I'll tolerate a novel in 3rd present, but it takes me a while to adjust.

Do what feels natural for your story and your style. If you sit down and think of a story in 3rd present, and that's how it naturally flows, write it that way.

Vernalire

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I'm having a problem. I'm a huge fan of present tense, because it makes me in the action, past tense makes me feel like, oh I found a book about Jon Smith during his adventure.

It seems kind of more distant. Personal opinion.

But I know present tense and flashbacks are a no-no, which I don't have any, but I've read its a taboo in third limited.

My question was to see if third limited is okay in present tense? I haven't really seen it but in 1 novel.

Thank you all for the quick replies!

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
OK? Of course. But if the goal is to publish, you might want to take a hard look at it.

Present tense seems like a trend. Like Roxxsmom said, present 1st is common in YA right now.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK? Of course. But if the goal is to publish, you might want to take a hard look at it.

Present tense seems like a trend. Like Roxxsmom said, present 1st is common in YA right now.

YA books are still being published in past tense, though, and in limited third, or even omniscient. I've seen enough to suspect that agents and editors care more about the quality and writing and story, and about whether or not stylistic choices work in that particular example, than about things like tense or narrative viewpoint, even. YA is a pretty crowded field these days (though in honesty, which marketing demographics and genres aren't), so I'm guessing that a story has to be unusual, if not unique, in some way to stand out from the pack.

Last edited:

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
My current MS I have Character A in first person present tense, and she interviews Character B who tells his story in first person past tense.

I have never seen 3rd person present, but that doesn't mean it could never be pulled off.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
3rd person present is extremely common in published fiction, somewhat less so in adult SFF than in some other segments of the market. Absolutely no reason not to use it if you think it's right for your story.