Hip Hop: Yay, or Nay?

Do you like Hip Hop?

• Hell, yeah!

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I bob my head to the popular songs, but I've never bought an album.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • I only like indie Hip Hop. If they make money, they've sold out.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only like old school jams. Whatever happened to The Sugar Hill Hang?

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • I only like one Hip Hop artist.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I only like one Hip Hop song.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • It's offensive, and I only listen to rock music with offensive lyrics.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I can't stand Hip Hop.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • What is Hip Hop?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Where is the obligatory Orlando Bloom Button?

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from the Ice Cube show, and I am betting that there are not many Hip Hop fans here. I know I'm one of the younger ones, but come on! Do you like Hip Hop? Or not so much?

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Nay.

However, Hubby has had the latest Hilltop Hoodz CD playing lately and I am liking it. It's Aussie Hip Hop though, which sounds soooooooooo different. Maybe that's why. I don't know.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Duke Ellington, in response to a journo's question about the scandalous rock 'n' roll that was corrupting teens' minds, said (and I paraphrase):

"There are only two kinds of music: good music, and the other kind."

I'll go along with that. Hip-hop, country, jazz, whatever: some is good, and some is terrible.

Me? I like some of it: Beastie Boys, some Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Dream Warriors, Grandmaster Flash. A lot of it, I've got no use for at all. But the same applies to pop music and rock.

I love hearing things I haven't heard before. But I do get sick of doof-doof cars driving up and down the street.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Poet...some is good, some is worse than terrible. I've never bought a hip-hop CD though. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like enough of it to waste my money.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
None of the choices really applied to me, so I chose the "bob my head" option. I like more than one artist, but most rap music is lost on me. I like Dre, Jay-Z, Snoop, Eminem, Kanye and (some) Ice Cube. And I also love the new one out by Chamillionaire and Krazie Bone, "Ridin' Dirty."

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I listen to all music -- I like keeping myself open. And, in all music (like everyone else has said), there's good tunes and crap. Even my favorite artists have songs I skip over because I can't stand them.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
You didn't have a button for 'Eh.....I'm forced to listen to it in my kid's car....'

Hard to believe the 'Go-Go' artists are all in their 50's 60's and 70's. Why mention that??? because 'Hip-Hop' is somewhat a rip of 'Go-Go'.

I'm really a hard core rock/metal/ blues person, but some of the 'Hip-Hop' is rather valid music. My son has a few Ice Cube CD's but I'm more familiar with him as an actor. If the music is playing and I like the beat, I'll listen...if you give me a couple beer, I'll dance. But I'm more of an 'Iron Butterfly' type of girl, ya know?

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
It's interesting that we don't really have a genuine need for a thread about how folks of a certain age (doesn't have to be a physical age) don't like hip hop. We can just go back to any publication from the 50s and 60s and get the same comments about rock. Just swap out "rock and roll" for "hip-hop" and you're good to go.

No, wait! I'm wrong -- We do have a genuine need for such a thread. This is the electronic version of the same ol' song. Folks in 40 years can use this thread, swapping out "hip-hop" for whatever popular music has moved on to at that time.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
What's the difference between hip hop and rap and where do Digable PLanets fit in?

Rap is part of Hip Hop. There are 4 elements of Hip Hop, rap, turntablism, dance, and grafitti. Digable Planets are definately Hip Hop.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Love the hip-hop but, like every genre, I don't like all the stuff that comes out. Eminem is consistently good, as is Kanye West, Snoop, and Dre. Everyone else, I'll listen to if it has a good beat and clever rhymes.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
There's some music I like, and some I don't. Some of it is hip hop, and some is other stuff. I mostly listen to alternative rock, with a bit of metal and emo thrown in. However, I do like Eminem, the Beastie Boys, Outkast, Ice T, Snoop Dogg, and a few others. One of my absolutely favorite sing-in-the-shower-and-shake-your-*** songs right now is "Temperature" by Sean Paul, which is some kind of weird blend of reggae, rap, hiphop and salsa. Love it.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:
Love the hip-hop but, like every genre, I don't like all the stuff that comes out. Eminem is consistently good, as is Kanye West, Snoop, and Dre. Everyone else, I'll listen to if it has a good beat and clever rhymes.

Very true. There is good and bad everything. I just don't like to hear, "I hate Hip Hop, because it's all b**** this and hoe that."

Yeah, I read a book the other day, and it was all incest and rape fantasies. Flowers In The Attic. I guess books suck.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
poetinahat said:
I like some of it: Beastie Boys, some Public Enemy, Boogie Down Productions, Dream Warriors, Grandmaster Flash.
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five is not Hip-Hop. Sheesz.

That's like labeling Elvis Costello as New Wave. You should know better, Poet.

Rob :)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five is not Hip-Hop. Sheesz.

That's like labeling Elvis Costello as New Wave. You should know better, Poet.

Rob :)
Oops. But The Message is still the biz. Still unexcelled.
ETA: Or has Celia caught you out?

"I have excellent news for the world: there is no such thing as New Wave. There's punk, power pop, new underground sound, ska, rockabilly... but New Wave doesn't mean sh!t."
-- Claude Bessy, from The Decline of Western Civilization

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five are hip hop. They're pioneers to the genre in fact.

And, as an aspiring rapper, I'm sort of obligated to love hip hop, even when it's saturated in pathetic mainstream efforts, as in the present era.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
I mean. . . .doesn't anybody listen to John Coltrane anymore?

If somebody ever samples, My Favorite Things, I am going to have a friggin coniption. . . .

Okay, I admit that I don't mind rap. . . uh, hip hop. . . I have bought two albums in the last three years (I steal my friends music mostly) and they are Ray Charles and Slim Shady. . .

Prosthetic Foreheads

Registered
Reaction score
When done well, hip hop is the tops. Now on to my list. I won't rank them, but do sort of a tier system. BTW, Notorious B.I.G. > Tupac. I guess this could be it's own thread for us heads. And I'm partial to the east coast flavor.

The kings:

Digable Planets are the best
Beastie Boys
Cherrywine
Notorious B.I.G. (not my fav, but the man had skills)

Second Tier:

A Tribe Called Quest
De La Soul (mostly their earlier stuff)
Outkast
Wu-Tang Clan (ODB, R.I.P.)
Leaders Of The New School

I also like:

Eminem
Snoop
Ice Cube
Ludacris (sometimes obnoxious, but sometimes blows my mind)
Blackalicious
Gang Starr
Arrested Development
The Roots
Twista (not really my style, but he's good)
Jurassic 5

I may be leaving a couple out.

Last edited:

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Jaycinth said:
I'm really a hard core rock/metal/ blues person, but some of the 'Hip-Hop' is rather valid music.
Jay, I might suggest looking up some Ice T and Bodycount stuff. Very early 90s neopunk, but still pretty rockin'. (For those who don't know, Ice T was one of the originals in the gangster rap movement. In the early 90s, he started touring with a metal band and caused a storm of controversy with his song "Cop Killer.)
WerenCole said:
If somebody ever samples, My Favorite Things, I am going to have a friggin coniption. . . .
Jazz has always been a give-and-take with popular music (Miles Davis's rendition of "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper is proof that it didn't die in the 40s). I would think you'd be pleased that now it goes both ways (there was a very popular hip hop song in the late 90s that sampled a well-known jazz tune, but I'm totally blanking on the name of the band. They were contemporaries of the Diggable Planets, but I don't think that's who it was).

For myself, I'm an old schooler, but I try to give it a chance now and then. Rigid thinking leads to senile dementia, so keep as open a mind as possible will hopefully keepe me rational into my old age.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
pconsidine said:
(For those who don't know, Ice T was one of the originals in the gangster rap movement. In the early 90s, he started touring with a metal band and caused a storm of controversy with his song "Cop Killer.)

Which why it's rather humorous that he now stars in Law & Order: SVU.