Looking for a map.

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any place I could find a resource that shows an in-depth look at the Allied invasion of France during WW2? As in, Operation Overlord and after? I've found a lot of great maps that show the broad strokes, and even a nice video that shows the day by day movements of the entire European theater over the course of the war, but nothing specifically dealing with France.

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
You need to do a fair bit of digging. The 'overall' maps of Operation Overlord will tell you which armies, divisions etc were deployed where and when. Next you need to find out which individual units (regiments / battalions) made up those larger units. Then you need to research (Google?) the indivudual units, narrowing your focus as you go, and find accounts of their activities during the operation (Regimental Histories etc.) Very often, they contain maps specific to small parts of the overall action (e.g. the glider/airborne attack on Pegasus Bridge is a well-documented example.)

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
You need to do a fair bit of digging. The 'overall' maps of Operation Overlord will tell you which armies, divisions etc were deployed where and when. Next you need to find out which individual units (regiments / battalions) made up those larger units. Then you need to research (Google?) the indivudual units, narrowing your focus as you go, and find accounts of their activities during the operation (Regimental Histories etc.) Very often, they contain maps specific to small parts of the overall action (e.g. the glider/airborne attack on Pegasus Bridge is a well-documented example.)
You might also ask around in the wargaming and/or military history enthusiast forums - a certain breed of gamer takes their historical accuracy VERY seriously, and may well have quicklinks to the sort of maps you need.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
If you are looking for the locations and movements of small units, then you might be disappointed, because the details weren't necessarily recorded. It would be in one place one day and somewhere else a day or two later. The best place to try would be the DoD:
http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/resmat/ww2eamet.html

Some of this looks very good, but I didn't lookk at everything.

possiblerobot

Registered
Reaction score
If you are looking for the locations and movements of small units, then you might be disappointed, because the details weren't necessarily recorded. It would be in one place one day and somewhere else a day or two later. The best place to try would be the DoD:

No, I'm not looking for individual units. This is great, thanks.

possiblerobot

Registered
Reaction score
Bringing knowledge and justice to all!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Dangit, I was gonna say "Try the glovebox of your car?" but the thread got answered too quickly! LOL

Back on topic:
Cool link to the DoD maps, bookmarked! :)