Punjabi speakers?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hi guys,

If anyone can translate "I wanted to kill him" into Punjabi, I'd be really grateful.

Also, the line is spoken by a Sikh man to his younger sister. In their culture, how would she address him? I've Googled "Punjabi for big brother", but am getting different answers.

Thank you!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My own Punjabi skills are minimal. But she would address her brother as "Bhai" (Brother) or Bhai Ji (Brother Soul, which connotes affectionate respect) or Bhai Sahib (which literally means Great Brother and is a little over the top, but might be used in affectionate fun). Not sure what she'd say if she was angry with him.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, and if she's a Sikh, which most Punjabi speakers are, she might also use those terms with any Sikh male in her generation. Bhai Sahib, if case you want to know, is also a title for those decorated by the Sikh powers that be for services to Sikhism. So she might use that with Sikh males older than herself, especially if she really does respect them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Thank you! I'll have her call him Bhaiji. She does get annoyed with him frequently, but she can just call him by his name when that happens.

They're not really practising Sikhs, partly because they live in a dystopian world cut off from Earth, without any connection to their culture and religion except for what's been passed down by word of mouth through three generations. And partly because they're only half-Sikh (one parent was white).