Research (Amputation)

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is an above-elbow amputee. The internet has been a good source of information so far. I found a company that specializes in prosthetic arms.

I want to talk to an occupational therapist about extensive rehab for upper limb amputees. (Other than what I found online.)

But I don't know any locally and I can't drive to a medical center because I can't drive. So I've been thinking about e-mailing an occupational therapist through the company with my questions.

Specifically how a teen would handle amputation.

Would that be a bad thing to do? They're busy. And I feel weird at the thought of interviewing an amputee ( if I knew one.) I want to talk with as many people as possible because I want to portray this sensitively.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
If you don't find a good resource, read the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling). The main character is an amputee (although not upper-arm), and the issues are integral to the plot in one of the books.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm moving this to our Research forum, where it's likely one of our members who can help you out will see your post.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
Then they won't answer your e-mail.

But if they have time to do so, and the inclination, then they will. Direct contact and conversation is going to be the best way to get what you want.

>_>

A face to face meeting may not be possible for some people due to circumstances. Some of which are outside their control.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're in the U.S., but there's a Canadian organization 'The War Amps' http://www.waramps.ca/home/
that's been around since WWI, and helps not only adult, veteran, amputees but also does a lot with child amputees. You might e-mail them for information - look at their website, they seem to want to help people, I imagine they'd like an accurate portrayal of amputees. (The 'Keytag' thing on their home page is one of their best known fund-raisers.)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Call the nearest school that offers physical therapy and rehab as a curriculum. Professors love to help.

Jeff

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I think I will. And thank you Frimble for your suggestion. I will take a look at that! In regards to calling to a school, is it OK if you conduct an interview over the phone if you have your questions prepared? Meeting them face to face may not be an option for me.

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
In my part of the world, there's an event that used to be called the One-Arm Dove Hunt, but now is called the Olney Amputee Dove Hunt after the passing of their founders. A number of upper-body amputees come every fall to shoot dove, play golf, and socialize with other upper-body amputees.

You might try contacting the current organizers and seeing if they can give you an introduction to some upper-body amputees. "Hey, I heard that you do great work for upper-body amputees. I'm an author who would like to ask some amputees a few questions so I can depict my character with realism and sensitivity, and I didn't know if you knew of anyone who wouldn't mind being interviewed?"