Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I remember reading a thread where writers also were artists (of some sort), so hopefully this doesn't sound same.

In my free time, I tend to doodle/draw characters (and scenes) that appear in my stories. I really like the idea of writing a story - and have enjoyed doing so since I was very little. I can't shake the idea of ONLY writing the story and not using my art.

I've thought of comic books, but I can't do things like color my work or draw complicated backgrounds. I probably couldn't even do the layout either. Reading Japanese Light Novels makes me wish we had those here in the States... And I read that publishers don't really take on authors AND illustrators at the same time. Though a writer named James A. Owen gives me some hope...

So if you're an artist/writer, did you forsake drawing for writing? Or did you get into comics instead? Or publish a book with your art? What would you do?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I'm self-published, so if I wanted to put out an illustrated book, I could. But for most novels, I think you'd be better off keeping the sketches as a fun extra to share with fans. If you have Patreon, that's a great thing to include as patron-only content. I rarely do character drawings, so this hasn't been a thing for me.

I was asked to illustrate one of my short stories once. But the majority of my art money comes from selling art on products on Zazzle. I don't really have the sort of style that'd be commissioned for book covers and the like (though I do the ones for my own books). Nor is it a comic book style. So those have never really been options for me as an artist.

On a general art note, do consider working on things you find difficult like colouring. When I started drawing, I only worked in plain pencil, and didn't think I'd ever be able to colour or use paint. I've still got a way to go, especially with the painting, but I was wrong to think I'd only ever be able to draw in pencil.

Kevin_C_Vang

Banned
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread where writers also were artists (of some sort), so hopefully this doesn't sound same.

In my free time, I tend to doodle/draw characters (and scenes) that appear in my stories. I really like the idea of writing a story - and have enjoyed doing so since I was very little. I can't shake the idea of ONLY writing the story and not using my art.

I've thought of comic books, but I can't do things like color my work or draw complicated backgrounds. I probably couldn't even do the layout either. Reading Japanese Light Novels makes me wish we had those here in the States... And I read that publishers don't really take on authors AND illustrators at the same time. Though a writer named James A. Owen gives me some hope...

So if you're an artist/writer, did you forsake drawing for writing? Or did you get into comics instead? Or publish a book with your art? What would you do?
I can draw things on Clip Studio. I suggest you should get Clip Studio as your manga program since it has 3D dolls to help you to draw better. It's up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.