Rights reversion issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdewar83

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I sold a book and contracted the sequel with a publisher. 2yrs after the first release, before the second book reached publication, the publisher became late on royalty payments, didnt reply to emails and their website disappeared. I sent them registered mail saying that they seem to be a non-entity and I'm reclaiming my rights to both books. After several weeks of no response I sent DMCA take down letters to amazon, ingram, b&n, and the other booksellers who removed the book from sale. After this had occured the publisher came back on emails and offered me a new contract for the first book or if I don't like it, rights reversion, and agreed that the second book was "off the table". I sent an email requesting formal reversion of rights and now they have not responded. It's been 6 weeks but they're not responding to mail, phone, etc.

Re the contract: There is literally no section for out of print or reversion of rights in the contract. There is a time to publication and a contract period (4 years), but nothing about reverting rights or the book being in/out of print. I wasn't savvy when I signed it (my first) and it's a shitty small press that I don't think knows any better.

Have I already re-claimed my rights? Do I even need his rights reversion letter? How long of non-answer can go by before I can consider the books mine again.

Thanks

S.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We can't answer your questions because we're not lawyers, and we don't know what your contract says. You need appropriate legal help, not advice from a group of unqualified people online. Sorry to be blunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.