• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a long-term CP / MS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

missbluestocking

Registered
Reaction score
I have a somewhat polished manuscript set in Feudal Korea. I have a few CPs already, but I always enjoy getting to meet new writers interested in creating a support system of sorts (especially as we wade through the Query Trenches). When I was querying last year, I found myself receiving "Revise and Resubmit" requests from agents, and found it immensely helpful when my CPs were willing to go over my drafts again. This is something I'm willing to do for my CPs as well.

Anyone interested? If so, please contact me at my email: writerjunehur(at)gmail(dot)com

What I can offer as a critique partner is detailed feedback on plot and character development, creating atmosphere and world building. I'm interested in almost any adult/YA genre, but mainly: historical (the setting can be anywhere in the world), sci-fi, fantasy, anything dark and psychological, and women's fiction.

Here is a short summary of my novel, which is a coming-of-age mystery:

Korea, 1800: The Confucian kingdom has closed its door to encroaching Western powers, but a Catholic priest smuggles himself into the capital and builds a secret society of converts. Then corpses of seemingly random Catholics are discovered.

Sixteen-year-old Seol, an irrepressible slave girl, must assist Inspector Han who has been assigned the case. Together, they travel from mud-covered alleys to exquisite mansions in search of the shadowy killer.

And here is an excerpt of Chapter One:

The capital lay deep in stillness. The dirt road usually clamored with life outside Changdeok Palace: women crowding fish stalls, farmers carrying their produce, scholars with their silk robes, monks and traveling merchants. And there would always be a mob of children, faces burnt and glistening in the sticky heat, chasing after their rivals. But not today.

“Do you suppose the rumors are true, Officer Kyŏn?" Rain pitter-pattered against black tiled roofs as I lowered the satgat over my face, allowing the rain to dribble down from the pointed top and off the wide brim. "People are whispering that the king was assassinated.”

Mud squelched under boots as police-officers trudged ahead.

Officer Kyŏn, the last in line, sent me a fierce look over his shoulder. "Watch what you say. The capital is nothing like the countryside.”

He was referring to Inchon prefecture, the place where I was from. A month had passed since I’d left home, brought to the capital to be trained as a police damo, a slave-of-all-works.

Status
Not open for further replies.