Does anybody play Werewolf?

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
...and would anybody like to?

For those who may not have heard of this before, Werewolf (aka, Mafia) is a forum-based community game which pits an uninformed majority (referred to generally as innocents/villagers/townspeople) against an informed minority (known as werewolves/mafia/badguys).

The game starts with a group of players, a small percentage of whom are werewolves. The wolves know each others' identities, but the innocents do not. During the "day" stage of the game, there is public discussion in which the players try to determine the identity of the wolves based off their actions and words, whilst the wolves try to subtly mislead the innocents. The aim is to reach a majority vote (50%+1) to 'lynch' one player—this player is then removed from the game, and there is a shift to the "night" stage.

During Night, the werewolves privately discuss which innocent they want to kill that night. This player is then also removed from the game. The lynching and killing resumes until either all of the wolves are lynched, or the number of wolves is equal to or greater than the number of remaining innocents, resulting in innocent or wolf victories respectively.

There are many variations of the game, and 'special' roles can be given to players to spice things up, but I'd initially look at running a plain, vanilla game (unless I got a group of experienced WWers).

The only threads I've been able to find about this through the forum search are a Mafia game that ran in 2006, and an attempt to start a game in the 'Games' forum in 2015 which didn't seem to take off.

Anybody interested? Beware; if you really get into it, it can be a bit of a time-sink, and you'd need to be available to post something meaningful at least once every 48 hours to prevent the game from dying from lack of input!