An agent asked to tell about myself - what should I say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonicks

Banned
Reaction score
Along with my first ever full request came this question. I've got no relevant bio. If I had, I would've mentioned it in my bio section in the query. But I left this part out because I had nothing to say. I haven't published anything, I wasn't studying creative writing (just reading tons of books on structure, character, dialogue etc), I'm actually a software engineer. And I don't even live in an English speaking country (but clearly my MS is in English). My only accomplishment is winning first place in a short story sci-fi competition in my county, and it wasn't in English.

I'm trying not to freak out. What should I say? Should I mention any of this? Should I tell the agent where I live? Mention my profession? Any advice will me very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As it happens, I'm also in I.T. , and I have even less in the way of credits than you. When I got asked that question, I just gave him a brief summary of my life--family, job, etc--plus the statement that I was just starting out.

In the end, as long as you don't have something really controversial in your past, it's the manuscript that matters.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I would say what your "day job" is, list any education, and cite a hobby or two that you're passionate about beyond writing. Best of luck!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She'll find out eventually.

Just be yourself - don't rabbit on, but tell the Agent what you would say to anyone who asked you that question.

An Agent might be in frequent touch with a client on various issues concerning the book, and it could be a long-term relationship - it's always nice to know something about someone you'ld be in touch with often.

And congratulations on getting the request- that puts you ahead of me and the pack for starters.

:Hug2:

Last edited:

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Maybe you could mention what interested you about and/or prompted you to write about the subject that you queried the agent about?

P.S. Forgot to say...Good Luck on the full!!!

Last edited:

Nonicks

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I ended up saying where I come from, my profession, family status, and a hobby. He mailed back 2 minuted later saying "thanks". //Crossing my fingers//

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't going to be instrumental in the agent's decision to reject or take you on, so don't worry too much about it. It's just useful background for the agent to have, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.