PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian/Portugese Names

Barking Tree
02-06-2017, 04:29 PM
I have a need for two male characters who are Surgeons aged around sixty or seventy years old, from Brazil.

I know that I could just google for names but I need to ensure that the context is correct. For instance, in England modern girls names include Kylie, Chardonnay, etc., but these would never be used for a character who is, say, ninety-years-old. It is also unlikely that they would be used for children in the upper classes of society.

Could anyone suggest any suitable names?

Many Thanks,
Alan

waylander
02-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Willian

mrsmig
02-06-2017, 05:50 PM
My husband has several middle-aged Brazilian friends: Lamartine, Sergio, Luiz, Eduardo, Leandro and Flavio.

Deb Kinnard
02-06-2017, 08:35 PM
João, Rui, André, Afonso come to mind. You can find many more at Behindthename.com.

Barking Tree
02-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Deb.

I had checked BehindTheName.com but just wanted to check that the names were correct within the context of middle-aged men.

benbenberi
02-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Not an answer to the question, but...

Chardonnay??? Is that really a name people in the UK are giving to girls today?????
:Jaw:

blacbird
02-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Google is your friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brazilians

caw

Barking Tree
02-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Not an answer to the question, but...

Chardonnay??? Is that really a name people in the UK are giving to girls today?????
:Jaw:

It happens, I'm afraid, but only by those on the lowest rung of the social ladder. It reminds me of the Harry Enfield characters Wayne & Waynetta Slob who call their children Frogmella and Spudulike because 'it sounds exotic'. :)

Barking Tree
02-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Google is your friend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Brazilians

caw

Ah, I missed that one. That's a great help, thanks!

Deb Kinnard
02-07-2017, 08:40 PM
As a hospital records worker, I'll admit I saw some bloodyweird names on birth certificates. I'll falsify the last names to protect the guilty, but one of my favorites was Pineapple Pancake Jones. Also Shelby Forever Young and Crystal Chanda Lear. I affirm to you these are the truth.