• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking CP for YA urban fantasy, 116k

Status
Not open for further replies.

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently edited this post saying I found a CP and I didn't have time to partner up with anyone else at the time.

However, my work load is lightening, and I would really like to partner up with, preferably, two more! Please post or PM me if you're interested.

FEEDBACK WANTED:

I'm looking for all kinds of feedback across the board. I want overall comments on plot, pacing, characterization, sentence structure, everything, in both the broad spectrum and line by line edits. I really am looking for someone who is active/available to talk to frequently so we can discuss each other's novels, ask questions real time, and have really good conversation with each other.

I want someone who isn't afraid to give constructive criticism. I don't want anything sugar coating. I need someone who is going to tell it like it is, as I will be doing the same. I would also like to hear things you DO like, read your reactions as things happen, etc.

WHAT I LIKE TO READ:
I'll read for all age groups except middle grade. I don't read it often and therefore wouldn't be the best to critique your story. Fantasy and contemporary are my favorite, whether YA NA Adult. I like twisty plots and also the softer side of coming-of-age young adult novels. But, if you're interested, feel free to send me over a blurb of your novel and I'll be happy to consider it!

QUALIFICATIONS:
I would love to partner up with writers who are on the same page (no pun intended) as I am. Slightly more experienced is fine, but I would like to go through the journey of editing and publishing our debut novel together, and help each other get there, cheer each other on. I would like someone who has experience critiquing others' work, and by experience I simply mean you've done it for a good length of time and know the gist of how it works and are comfortable giving feedback and know what to look for.

I also want to partner with writers who have completed and edited their novel at least a couple of times on their own already. I don't want to be the one reading it all the way through before you do.

Please see below for my query letter of THE DREAM WALKER. It's a young adult urban fantasy complete at 116k. I'm open to all works that are ballpark the same length. If interested =, please message me, and we can exchange writing samples and see if we are a good match!

QUERY

Human minds are in desperate need of protection, and though seventeen-year-old Kaylieanna is the most feared Threat hunter in the country and the best person for the job, she suddenly finds that she too is being hunted.

Kaylieanna is a Dream Walker; a member of a supernatural race created thousands of years ago with the original purpose of watching over human minds while asleep. It wasn’t long before the evil Threats of her kind began to prey on the Dangered—the select group of humans whose minds are susceptible to being controlled—demanding a new purpose among the Dream Walker people. Kaylieanna has spent years training to defend the Dangered mind and quickly earned her fearless reputation. But when Threats begin to inexplicably use the human mind to destroy her, Kaylieanna’s stable, strong, and stubborn façade is shattered, and her world as she knows it falls apart. Threats infiltrate her home, corrupted humans are murdering hunters across the country, and her innocence is soon questioned by those she cares about most. Her resolve is tested even further upon meeting Luke—a newly discovered Dangered who is nothing short of irritating and makes her doubt her sanity on a daily basis. In time, the two form an unexpectedly strong relationship, and it is with his help that Kaylieanna hopes to figure out who is behind the attacks against her, the humans, and her people. However, it is she alone who must decide who can be trusted and whose side she is truly on.

Last edited:

MLE Wright

MLE Wright
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theonlyroad.co
Hi there,
I am looking for a CP as well. I have a 120,000 word complete YA drama. I sent you a personal message.

Please let me know if you are interested.

RebeccaMinnar

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Your novel sounds interesting! I'll admit that if you do want to be a critic partner with me, I'll be a little skeptical and/or resigned to the romance, simply because I feel everything has gotten so saturated with it and, apparently, there's only so much of it I can handle. But I'll do my best to set that aside and just enjoy it for the plot!

The genre of my book is YA dystopian, although it focuses more on the characters and their growth and relationships than most other dystopians I've read. I honestly haven't found many books in the genre like it, which is both good and bad, as it means it's unique, but also that there's nothing to compare it to in an attempt to garner interest. It's just under 83,000 words long. I cowrote it with a friend for three years, and we spent at least an hour per weekday on it, so a lot of love has been poured into it. As such, our goal is to eventually be published traditionally, but we need to find another pair of eyes that wasn't privy to the creation of it to look it over and find any possible plot holes we missed or anything we should go back and rethink.

My usual style of editing is to simply read, pointing out small mistakes I may notice along the way as well as giving feedback on the characters and what I think of them. If I do find a spot that feels rough or choppy, I typically try to make a suggestion on how to smooth it out. I do my utmost best to be honest, although I like to try to stay polite and kind until I figure out what certain people can handle. However, knowing I can be as blunt yet polite as I need to right off the bat will negate that. I'm rarely quiet about characters that I like or relate to--in fact, someone I've betad for has said "there was a lot of yelling, so I assumed you enjoyed it." (I did. Very much.)

I've been writing for as long as I can remember, but I've only finished books in the past five years. Neither me nor my coauthor are published, although she's trying to get one of her books through and we're both getting ready to send our dystopian out into the world. I do eventually hope to have a book that's solely mine published, although the best option is being somewhat difficult for me right now and may shift forms from a book to a comic type thing.

Here's the extremely short summary for my dysoptian!
In Arbitrium, where all disabled citizens are “upgraded,” brainwashed, and forced into military service, two brothers silently resist.
Hidden behind a glove and a prosthetic, Cecil Pembroke’s right hand is deformed to the point of uselessness. When, after 15 years of hiding it, the safety of his secret is in jeopardy, Cecil must flee to the elusive Forest People to avoid discovery.
By Arbitrium’s standards, Viliam Pembroke is a criminal--or he would be, if they found out he’d spent his entire life sheltering a Defect. Now that Cecil has disappeared and both boys’ freedoms are on the line, Vil decides to infiltrate the Officers to protect his brother from the inside.

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just updated my first post, because I'm again looking for CPs for my novel. I would love to get a couple more to work with. Please PM if interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.