PDA

View Full Version : Do I keep querying even if an agent has a full?

DeadlyAccurate
05-04-2006, 08:14 PM
The agent didn't ask for an exclusive, so there's no problem there, but should I continue to send out query letters even if an agent is currently reading the full manuscript? On the one hand, I don't want to sit around and wait for what just might be a rejection; on the other, it almost seems like I'm expecting a rejection by continuing to send.

Julie Worth
05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
If you haven't given an exclusive, keep submitting. Most fulls are rejected, so don't count on it.

Daughter of Faulkner
05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
you know that you know that's your signature on that long awaited contract.
My first full mss of what I signed with was a hit however another full mss to another agent wasn't. Both were very different so it can always go either way.
If it were me, I'd shop till I dropped--the mss that is.

All good wishes to you.

And keep writing!

:e2BIC:

dantem42
05-05-2006, 05:52 AM
The agent didn't ask for an exclusive, so there's no problem there, but should I continue to send out query letters even if an agent is currently reading the full manuscript? On the one hand, I don't want to sit around and wait for what just might be a rejection; on the other, it almost seems like I'm expecting a rejection by continuing to send.

It's probably okay to send out query letters even if your manuscript is out to someone exclusively (though only snail mail queries, not email). The only thing you shouldn't do is send out a manuscript to someone else if it's under exclusive. You should not do email queries because the tendency is for you to hear back right away (often within 24 hours) if someone else is interested.

With snail mail, it will generally take a couple of weeks to hear back something positive. By that time, your manuscript under exclusive may already be rejected or accepted. If it's rejected, you already have the next agent to send to. If it's accepted, and you want to work with that agent, then you just send an "oops!" to the new one who requested your mss.

If by chance your manuscript is still under review, and someone else requests it, you can "disappear" on vacation for a week or two until the exclusive issue is resolved one way or the other. It's important to have a firm and final date for the exclusive expiration, and best if the exclusive period is around four to six weeks.