British Peerage in Late Elizabethan England

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Part of my story is set in London in the early 17th century. My female lead is a well-born woman and the male lead is a member of the gentry or nobility who has made a name for himself as a privateer. The storyline requires his first name to be hidden (as much as possible) from the reader, so I'd prefer him to have a title that means he is addressed as [title] [location], as opposed to Sir [firstname]. However, he must not appear an obvious catch to social-climbing ladies, so his title/position should be on the lower end of impressive. This is where I'm running into trouble, as titles that include location are the most prestigious.

Any ideas how to wangle this? Make him the youngest son of the line? Flat broke? My female lead is being pushed in the direction of a man who is considered much more eligible by her family, so the male lead has to seem like the unconventional choice.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Since he's a privateer, I'd think "Captain Lastname" would do.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Marlys. Captain X might work in a pinch, though if he's nobility or gentry, he's usually still referred to by his social position, rather than his profession.

Unfortunately, King Neptune, a baronetcy wouldn't work, because baronets are addressed as Sir [firstname], which I'm trying to avoid.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
If he's a younger son of an earl or the son of a viscount or baron, then he's plain Mr. Firstname Lastname, so that might be the way to go (any higher and he'd have a courtesy title of Lord Firstname Lastname.) And yeah, Captain would work.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Peers generally refer to themselves by their last name only, however bear in mind that such a practice would mark themselves as a peer. For example, Lord Tukesbury would refer to himself and sign his name as Tukesbury. Other people would refer to him as Lord Tukesbury. Non peers would be Mr (last name), to themselves and others.

The practice of referring to people by their last name rather than first name is (or at least was) quite common among upper class and upper middle class people. Public* school children have generally been referred to by their last name only (see the whole "Jennings" series set in 1950s boarding schools). I don't know if this is still the practice in these schools but it always used to be like that.

*by which I mean places like Eton, i.e. highly exclusive private schools. Government funded schools in the UK are called state schools.

In other words, I'd see no plausibility issues whatsoever if an upper class character was referred to by their last name only throughout the entire book. His immediate family would use his first name though - if his first name has to be hidden and he has conversations with his immediate family, then you may need to be a bit careful here, but he might be known by a nickname (especially if his first name is the same as his father's, as is common for eldest sons, for example).

And just for comparison, in the above mentioned Jennings series, Jennings's first name is almost never mentioned. I think his mother uses it when writing to him. I don't even remember what his first name is, in spite of having read lots of Jennings stories.

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
In the scenario you describe, I'd choose the nickname or "by-name" route. You could also set it up so that his Christian name is so little known outside of his family, that your listening character could be heard to say, "Sir WHO Douglas" or whatever, since he knows your Main Char by his by-name exclusively. He could be known as Four-Finger Douglas or Bit-Cat Douglas or whatever, to the social exclusion of his Christian name. Even today, I have a brother whose given name is so seldom used, he has to put his nickname on his business cards. We in the family know it, of course, but very few outside, and we never call him by his given name.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I've found a solution that'll work well. Fortunately, this character will only show up in two chapters, so I don't have to worry about keeping his first name hidden for long.