Status
Not open for further replies.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I wash my hands after I’ve used my bathroom at home. After every visit to a public bathroom upon washing my hands, I use a paper napkin to open the door instead of using my hands. Is this a problem? I heard this mentioned this morning on TV Fox News and thought I may have a problem.

Do others do as I do?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It's not a problem. You just don't want to touch the germy doorknob with clean hands. Although I don't use a napkin myself to open the door, I have seen plenty of people (well, men) do that when leaving a public restroom.

allen

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:
Do others do as I do?

Yes, I do the same thing. Too many people are pigs and don't wash their hands(yes, even in the ladies room) and I don't want their butt germs.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I do that, too. I keep hand sanitizer with me all the time, too -- for me and that kids because it's a gross world. :)

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I use my hands to open the doors but I try to make minimal contact with the handle.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a problem at all. When the bird flu strikes, you may be one of the fortunate few who is not initially infected. Should your house be flooded by the zombified, chirping diseased, you may run to my fortified abode, where the pantry shall be stocked with no less than 5 years worth of ramen, Bertoli's and milkshakes....

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, paper towel to open the door. I've even stressed that to my kids. We all carry hand sanitizers. I see so many people not wash their hands that.. well ... YUCK!

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
I just try not to bite my fingernails after leaving the restroom.

GPatten: Think about the germs on the grocery cart handles, yet people casually grab a cart and wheel it around. You would not believe the crud people leave on the handles. Or think about what is left on movie theater seats - yuck!

Most of the time, when in a public restroom, I make it a point not to watch what others are doing or not doing. When I am standing at the urinal I do not care to indulge in any casual conversation with the guy standing at the next urinal. Why do males feel it necessary to chat with the neighbor while taking a leak? Do women do this?

Last edited:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Washing at home is just as important as washing in public. It's amazing to me how many adults I see in public restrooms that do not wash.

I have a relative who flushes public toilets with a foot rather than touch the lever with hands. . . also uses napkin to open door or backs out it if possible.
Just means you're squeaky clean, which is not a bad thing.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
GPatten said:
I wash my hands after I’ve used my bathroom at home. After every visit to a public bathroom upon washing my hands, I use a paper napkin to open the door instead of using my hands. Is this a problem? I heard this mentioned this morning on TV Fox News and thought I may have a problem.

Do others do as I do?

I've always done that. What's more, both my daughters are doing it. I even wipe down the strap of my hand bag after I hung it on the door hook.

I guess we're a problem family.

Anya Smith

House Dragon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alnitak-z-orionis.com
dlcharles said:

GPatten: Think about the germs on the grocery cart handles, yet people casually grab a cart and wheel it around. You would not believe the crud people leave on the handles. Or think about what is left on movie theater seats - yuck!

I wipe the cart handle with wet wipes. Yes, please don't look at me like that.

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
GPatten: You opened a whole new train of thought which could fill this thread. From the germ factor to "Proper Public Bathroom Etiquette". You should write a book about it.

DTKelly

The Rememberer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dtkelly.net
Jcomp said:
Not a problem at all. When the bird flu strikes, you may be one of the fortunate few who is not initially infected. Should your house be flooded by the zombified, chirping diseased, you may run to my fortified abode, where the pantry shall be stocked with no less than 5 years worth of ramen, Bertoli's and milkshakes....

Off topic (sort of)-- Looks like they're already beating at your door, JComp. I'll have to pass on the offer, but thanks. :)

The part I hate about grocery carts is that people put their meat and chicken in the child seat. Sorry, I don't want my kid sitting in chicken slime. ugh.

Not to mention when the converyor belt at the checkout is covered in, well, whatever it is covered in.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
dlcharles said:
GPatten: You opened a whole new train of thought which could fill this thread. From the germ factor to "Proper Public Bathroom Etiquette". You should write a book about it.

I’m not responsible for this, TV Fox News is. I just brought it to this forum. <<Insert Smiley here.>>

dlcharles said:

GPatten: Think about the germs on the grocery cart handles, yet people casually grab a cart and wheel it around.

I wash my hands when I get home too.

However, I don’t avoid the cracks in sidewalks, yet.

Women don’t have urinals to use so to chat in their bathrooms. And I don’t chat at the urinals either.

Fern said:
I have a relative who flushes public toilets with a foot rather than touch the lever with hands. . . also uses napkin to open door or backs out it if possible.
Just means you're squeaky clean, which is not a bad thing.

I’ve done that too. I think I better go see a shrink.

Shadow_Ferret said:
Freaks. :tongue
Your immune system: Use it or lose it.

I’m afraid so. This thread is starting to show some welcome humor. I need more of that in these times.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I do the same thing. There's no point of washing my hands, then touching the germ-infested door handle. In fact, I believe my urine (not that I EVER splash on myself!!) is relatively more germ-free than the door.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:

There's a lot of truth in that statement. But I think I will get germs in some other organism exchanging activity than grasping bathroom doorknobs. I mean, I know where their hands have been.

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
GPatten said:
Women don’t have urinals to use so to chat in their bathrooms. And I don’t chat at the urinals either.

They don't? I'll be darned, and here I had myself all psyched up with the image of several women standing at urinals while sharing 'girl talk'. Wait a second here, wasn't there a picture making the rounds some time back of just such a thing. There was, but I cannot recall where.

But they do have bidets, at least in most upscale restrooms.

Urinals in men's restroom - one for grown-ups and one for tiny little people. Why is it I always manage to walk in just behind someone taking the adult sized urinal, leaving me with that kid sized one next to it? I have to fight the urge to get on my knees before I unzip. That little one is made for a two foot tall dwarf. Put another adult sized one in there. And the germs, oie, the germs.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's a problem at all, GP, but a very wise thing to do. It would only be a problem if you kept doing that over and over again. Then it would be an obsessive compulsive disorder, but then again, I'm not a pyschologist.:)

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AS a Facilities Manager, I could right a book on bathroom escapades.

saaaaayyyyyyyyy.............

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
maestrowork said:
I do the same thing. There's no point of washing my hands, then touching the germ-infested door handle. In fact, I believe my urine (not that I EVER splash on myself!!) is relatively more germ-free than the door.

I wash my hands BEFORE I go to the bathroom. Why would you want to touch yourself with germ-infested hands? :)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
Freaks. :tongue

That's what I say too. We're so germaphobic that most people can't fight off the simplest things, because they're immune systems haven't been allowed to come in contact with anything. I think with kids is the biggest thing.

Not that I don't wash my hands after I use the toilet; of course. I also sanitize the phone in the winter. But I don't get all crazy about it. I also am not a big fan of pharmaceuticals to combat every little thing either. I'll take medicine when I have to (for allergies, for high fever, etc) but I'm SO not a contributor to the great antibiotic fallout.

If the bird flu comes (and I am a little afraid, more for my son than me) then it's masks all around.

Do all your grocery stores provide those wipes near the front door to wipe down the carts??? Our do, and I do take those once in a while, just for my hands and the handle. In winter mostly.

PS - urine, when it comes from your body, is sterile. Really. It's the fecal stuff you have to worry about. Ick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.