My cat keeps peeing!

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I've had two indoor cats for a year and a half now. There was quite the peeing problem at first (bed, couch, gym bag...), but then they grew some sense and it stopped. Thankfully, because dealing with cat urine really sucks the joy out of my soul.

Now it's round two. I'm pretty sure it's always the same one, and he has now gone into my gym bag (I finally got rid of it and got a new one), and on various plastic bags he's gotten to on the floor. This has happened daily, for four days now. He went on a big, empty bag of litter, which I hadn't thrown away yet, a big garbage bag I had just started collecting empty cans in, and now on a shopping bag I kept by the shoes, for storing recyclable trash.

(He's neutered.)

What the HELL am I supposed to do here? What is the significance of peeing on plastic, rather than something absorbent?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Since he's neutered, I can think of two things.

One - it's a territory issue. How are your cats with each other? They should have a relatively peaceful coexistence where they tolerate, if not enjoy, each other's company. If they seem to avoid each other or one acts a lot less "cat-like" (so slinking around, staying low, hiding) it may be an issue of the peeing cat not feeling ownership of their space. So they're leaving their scent out because it's comforting to them.

One-point-five - this may also be cause by a stray/neighbor cat outside. You'd know if the peeing occurs a lot near exterior walls. In which case, you might want to set out some sort of deterrent. Citrus oil works well. Motion sense sprinklers do too.

Two - poor baby might be sick. Again, it's a comfort thing. The cat doesn't feel well, so it marks space to smell more of itself. In which case, you might want to take them to their vet to make sure nothing it wrong. It's a good rule of thumb to follow whenever a pet's behavior undergoes a big shift.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
One - it's a territory issue. How are your cats with each other? They should have a relatively peaceful coexistence where they tolerate, if not enjoy, each other's company. If they seem to avoid each other or one acts a lot less "cat-like" (so slinking around, staying low, hiding) it may be an issue of the peeing cat not feeling ownership of their space. So they're leaving their scent out because it's comforting to them.

They frequently sleep side by side, and occasionally clean one another, so I'd say they get along just fine.

One-point-five - this may also be cause by a stray/neighbor cat outside. You'd know if the peeing occurs a lot near exterior walls. In which case, you might want to set out some sort of deterrent. Citrus oil works well. Motion sense sprinklers do too.

We're on the fourth floor, so I don't think another cat could be the issue.

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
Maybe he has a bladder infection (or other bladder/urinary tract issues), and he's just going in the places he thinks are most convenient. If it continues, I'd get him checked out by a vet, just to be sure.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Take him to the vet -- he may have a uti or crystals in his urine.

If that's not the case, how many boxes do you have? Do you clean them every day?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Then I'd get him to the vet in the near future.

In the meantime - enzymatic cleaners (idk what brands there are in Iceland - but the US brand I like best is Nature's Miracle) will help cut down on the stink and the revisiting of some spots. Clean the litter box twice a day if you don't already. Consider changing the litter you use if kitty avoids the box entirely.

Actually, that makes me think of another thing - how many boxes do you have? One per cat per level of home is a good baseline. In fact, replacing one or more of the objects being peed on with an additional litter box (could be as simple as a little pan with some litter) should be helpful in getting his business back in the box.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Peeing on a smooth surface is usually a sign of a urinary tract infection. This can be a big problem and a dangerous one for neutered males. Crystals in the bladder can lead to blockages. Kitty needs to go to the vet, make sure you tell the vet what sort of surfaces he's peeing on.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
They act out like that if something is upsetting them. Could be anything different you're done in your life or theirs.

I had one who had a urinary track infection and crystal blockage and could pee just a few drops at a time. He stayed in hospital a weekend and was all better. Peeing too much in humans is a sign of diabetes. Might want to get him checked for that.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Echoing the "get to a vet" advice. First thing to do is to rule out health issues.

If it's psychological, that's going to be harder to pin down and deal with. It can be a stress reaction - talk to your vet about solutions. I also had an older cat who developed peculiar urination habits, particularly peeing on me (waking up with cat piss dripping down your face is not a fun experience); I believe he had dementia, as the vet found no physical problem. Medicine ("kitty Prozac") plus "piddle pants" (they sell them for small dogs) helped get him through the tail end of his life.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
For male cats, urinary infections and micro-crystals can become a life-threatening medical emergency.

Err on the side of caution with your vet ASAP.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Adding to the call for a vet visit. Also, have you changed brands of litter lately? If so, the cat may not like the smell, texture, etc.

WolfGrave

Registered
Reaction score
get them separate litter boxes if you haven't yet. for sure get him to a vet just to be safe.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, that makes me think of another thing - how many boxes do you have? One per cat per level of home is a good baseline. In fact, replacing one or more of the objects being peed on with an additional litter box (could be as simple as a little pan with some litter) should be helpful in getting his business back in the box.
I fairly often see the advice to have #boxes = #cats+1; cats like to be able to choose. :)

In the meantime, what everyone else has said - go to the vet. I've had a cat with UTIs, it's not a good thing.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the advice to take him to the vet, since a UTI is possible.

Another medical-related possibility is a mobility issue. One of my cats started peeing outside the litter box when he started to get stiff and arthritic. Even if your cat is younger, it doesn't hurt to rule out issues that could be making it physically hard to get in and out of the box. I saw an episode of My Cat From Hell where a young cat had undiagnosed hip dysplasia. Probably not as likely as something like a UTI, but something to keep in mind.