German speakers / historians needed!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I'd like to know the commands given to a firing squad, pretty please.

I used Google translate to come up with Ready! Aim! Fire!:

Bereit!
Ziel!
Feuer!

But I would like confirmation that this is correct... or not!

Many thanks.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
It's been 30 years or so since I could speak German. About the only militarisch (sp?) that I recall is that when marching, the counting will be Einz, Zwo...instead of the normal Einz, Zwei. For military cadence they changed the pronunciation of the count, "Two," so the soldiers in the back row could tell the difference easier between Einz and Drei. Since 1, 2 and 3 in civilian German all have a long I vowel sound

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know a native German speaker who's a Twitter friend. Let me see if I can find her...

I sent her a message. She's a member here and may come to your aid when her work day is through. She's busy, but who hasn't got time for three words?

Maryn, who isn't fond of research

GregFH

Registered
Reaction score
My native German friend says it's just a two step command: "Legt an! Feuer!"

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
It's been a while since I watched any movies in German that featured firing squads. I think I remember there being a three-beat cadence, but its possible that it was "leeeegt... an!" for the first two and it's also possible that they did that to match the English original in the dub.

There's also "präsentiert das Gewehr" or rather "präsentiiiert ... das Gewehr!" for raising the rifles before "legt an" for pointing them. Maybe that's the thrid beat I was looking for...

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
It's been 30 years or so since I could speak German. About the only militarisch (sp?) that I recall is that when marching, the counting will be Einz, Zwo...instead of the normal Einz, Zwei. For military cadence they changed the pronunciation of the count, "Two," so the soldiers in the back row could tell the difference easier between Einz and Drei. Since 1, 2 and 3 in civilian German all have a long I vowel sound

There's a Rammstein song where they count in military march manner "Links, zwo, drei, vier" (literally "left, two, three, four"). Not sure how much artistic liberty they are taking, but it is a data point.

M.C.Statz

Little fish in a big pond
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to know the commands given to a firing squad, pretty please.

I used Google translate to come up with Ready! Aim! Fire!:

Bereit!
Ziel!
Feuer!

But I would like confirmation that this is correct... or not!

Many thanks.

Probably wouldn't apply to a firing squad, but the German equivalent of "fire at will" is "Feuer frei" (literally, "fire freely" - which is curious to me since Feuer is a noun and not a verb) and "Cease fire" is "Feuer einstellen".

Take this with a shaker of salt - my German is very rusty and wasn't all that good at peak.