Lovesick

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
So, as my daughter is coming into her womanhood she is nursing her first broken heart, and I am having difficulty finding just the right words to console her. How can I tell her that it is only the first of many? How can I assure her that in context, which of course is years away, it will be a blip on her screen? How can I try to put it in perspective for her without diminishing her lost love? How can I convince her that it was just a phase, that it just wasn't meant to be, when she looks at me through those teary eyes?

Anyone over a certain age has been through it, but I'm faced with that challenge familiar to all parents when we've tried to spare our kids the worst of the pain and impart a wisdom that we know we didn't have at their age and that only came to us through taking our lumps. Seeking advice and anecdotes, thanks!

ETA: Not only looking for advice from parents, I should have made that clear. How 'bout yourself? What tactics did you find helpful in curing your own broken heart?

Last edited:

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the best way to help would be to remain positive. The more sad looks you share, the more emphasis and seriousness you add to--as you put it--a phase. These are the bumps that shape a child and if you believe that it's not a horrible, bad thing, then she will pick up on your feeling towards it and (hopefully) let it go easier. I know the first impulse is to get out the tissues and share a cry, which is fine, but you'll do more help by sharing less conversation (and attention) on the breakup, and doing more activities that will help her see there's more to focus on, be excited about, and live for. Take her to a dance class, start a workout routine together, or do something routinely with her. I think it will make you more available to her in the long run than conversation would. Just my .2, since you asked. :)

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That is great advice. Thank you. And I don't want to give the wrong impression that she is devastated or that we've spent many a teary night over this. At first I was playing it way down but at the same time I wanted to try to see it from her vantage point. It was really just last night that she told me it was officially over. So many things that I want to tell her that I hold back because of trying to be sympathetic. Through all my own broken hearts, I knew that the best way to get over one girl was to find another. But, ha, I don't want to tell her that! because I also know that those on the rebound are especially vulnerable to bad choices. I did give her an idea of the sheer multitude of broken hearts I have nursed myself, again trying to give her some perspective.

Also don't want to overly dramatize this here. I see it for what it is, but I know how difficult that is for a rookie.

ETA: But your point is well taken. Positive distraction is a good idea. Thank you.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I wouldn't worry at all about perspective. At her age, her brain can't really project her Self into the future. And you don't want to come off as minimizing her experience and feelings.

Be with her right where she is Right Now. This is one of those great times for a parent to be Silently Present. Invite her to do a project with you...which shows that Life Goes On (and can even be distracting), but also that you are In It Together.

Let time do the work while you do the love.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, SWest. I think I sometimes try too hard with my kids. And, what's worse, is I'm impatient by nature. So not only do I try to solve all their problems, I tend to try to do it in a hurry. That is a whole other kind of minimizing.

I'm struck by how, as parents, a big part of what defines our style is how we try, largely w/o being conscious of it, to do better with our kids than our parents did with us. The 'talk' I got from my father when I was in my teens and kind of girl crazy had to have been one of the shortest in the history of those kinds of talks, when he turned to me, cigar in hand, and said, "Use rubbers," and went back to watching his game on TV. So, of course, I, of the more enlightened generation, do something that in some instances is even worse--I try too hard. I'm somehow under the misconception that I can spare my kids the pain that eludes no one.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Which makes you neither a bad parent or a bad person. =))

This passage now really is the toll gate to your road of an adult friendship.

If you do any DIY home or car chores - include her in these processes.

Decide that it's time to switch out all the sink faucets. Take her to the hardware store, discuss and choose the relevant bits, then show her how this straightforward job goes.

Show her that she is valuable and capable. This impresses on her that when the chips are down, you don't wax rhetorical. You show up. When this grief subsides, she'll have a better chance of finding another, better match.

And yes, she should know that you advocate rubbers. :greenie

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you're spot on. We've always been very close, she knows I'll be there for her no matter what as long as I'm taking in air. But this is a good opportunity to show her, not tell her, how to handle the bumps in the road. Very good advice, can't thank you enough.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Part of the danger, I think, when we have our hearts broken, is to become guarded, less generous and really more cynical about love. My kids have the benefit of watching with their own eyes an unconditional love between their parents, and unconditional love from us to them. I don't want them to get bitter or ever lose the capacity for that kind of love-- I think a lot of people do in the name of self-preservation. But there is such a thing, and they need to be strong and brave enough to not allow a broken heart to sour them.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the Good Cry. :greenie

It's hard to watch when your wee ones fall down. You'll do fine.

:Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

You're kidding, right? I hope I didn't make you cry. It is, it's one of the hardest things I've ever experienced. There's no pain like that of watching your kid in pain.

Ha, the funny thing is, most do just fine. They survive all this stuff and come out the other side. Makes me wonder if my parents' school of parenting wasn't wiser than I gave credit for.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Have you shared your story with her? My Mom did that with me. Sorry to contradict the person upstream who said kids can't project themselves into the future, but I could and did. Helped me see that anything in high school wasn't likely to last.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
You're kidding, right? I hope I didn't make you cry. It is, it's one of the hardest things I've ever experienced. There's no pain like that of watching your kid in pain.

Ha, the funny thing is, most do just fine. They survive all this stuff and come out the other side. Makes me wonder if my parents' school of parenting wasn't wiser than I gave credit for.

I had rather atrocious parents. tldr

And I quite enjoy watching Good Parents. They don't make things look Easy, they make things look True. Men who sincerely value their family members break me up. In a hopeful way. =))

There's always a dynamic balance in play. When kids are young, they need more boundary, more direction, more supervision, more external control. No one tells you that you will have to feel your way along through the Less years. You sensed it. *scores you all the points*

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Have you shared your story with her? My Mom did that with me. Sorry to contradict the person upstream who said kids can't project themselves into the future, but I could and did. Helped me see that anything in high school wasn't likely to last.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Yeah, I did last night. I told her about a few of the times I had my heart broken. It's funny how when you feel so strong for someone it's hard to imagine that they don't feel the same way.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I had rather atrocious parents. tldr

And I quite enjoy watching Good Parents. They don't make things look Easy, they make things look True. Men who sincerely value their family members break me up. In a hopeful way. =))

There's always a dynamic balance in play. When kids are young, they need more boundary, more direction, more supervision, more external control. No one tells you that you will have to feel your way along through the Less years. You sensed it. *scores you all the points*

Oh, I understand now. Yeah, mine was rather eventful, too. Trying not to make the same mistakes. Thanks so much, I'm kind of touched.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
No child or teen wants to hear about phases. And it can be very gloomy to hear that this is one in a long line of heartbreaks. The best way I have found to describe it is a version of the 'kiss a lot of toads' line. I used to tell the teens I was working with that they were in a time in their life where they are learning everything. Part of that learning is learning how to be in a relationship. Most young relationships don't work out, because people are still figuring out dating, and what they need and want out of relationships, and how to have a relationship in the first place. It's like practice, and it builds up a wealth of information on what one truly wants in a relationship. It's also important to stress that the entire process is normal, that everyone has relationships that don't work out.

Of course, the time for this discussion is not in the middle of heartbreak. That's when we want our loved ones to hold us, and tell us everything will be all right, and that the ex was a complete poopy head.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Julianne, ha, I used that "kiss a lot of frogs" line last night. Yeah, I wondered how telling her of all the doomed relationships that were surely in her future would play to her.

Ha, yeah, the ex, unfortunately, is a great kid. Not good enough for my daughter of course. The break-up was kind of mutual, but she still hurts and I'm sure he does, too.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
It's easy as a parent to get caught up in wanting to spare our children pain. It's important to remember that pain is part of growth, just as happiness or any other feeling. I would love to snap my fingers and make my children no longer hurt, but knowing pain is what helps us to relate and have empathy for others in pain. It's important for her to go through it and for you to let her. I agree with what's being said--just be there for her. Let her talk to you, cry to you, etc. My only advice is to help her try to stay busy.

I went through a very painful divorce and found that once I no longer had my marriage to think about, there was so much room in my brain, it was easy to fill it with thoughts of loss and loneliness. It's a process, but she'll need to start filling those pieces of time when she'd be with him or thinking about him, with other things and you can help her with that. If possible, keep her busy. What things is she interested in? Activities? Maybe tapping into her talents and interests, helping her find other things to do and think about, would be the best way to help. And then, stand back, mama, and just let her grieve.

A bit unrelated, but when my sister died, everyone kept telling my mom not to be sad, that things would be okay, that she'd forget the pain soon. That made things worse. My mom didn't want to forget, and she didn't feel okay. A therapist told my mother that she had a right to mourn, a right to be sad, and a right to heal at her own pace. I realize that a first-love break up isn't the same thing, but the principle is. Let your daughter know it's okay to feel bad and to hurt. It's normal to be in pain right now. And although I'm sure you want to tell her that the pain fill fade, she may not want to hear it and may not believe it. Better to tell her that what she feels is okay, that she has a right to be sad and to feel loss, but that she should try not to dwell on it. Then help her get her brain focused on other things.

Good luck, Maze. Sounds like you're a great mom. Right now, just be a shoulder to cry on when she needs it. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With respect, it would seem that someone guided you into that process from outside. Adolescents really don't have the brain development to reliably engage in this way as a rule.

My bold.

I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "There's lies; there's damn lies; and there's statistics."

Normal has never been my style. :)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Maze Runner, that's good. If she knows it happened to you, and you turned out okay, she'll probably be fine.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

WondersWithin

Registered
Reaction score
Well, when I was teen and my heart was broken I drowned it in sad songs, tears, and found comfort in my friends. At that age, it seemed that friends made everything better. I didn't have many but I did have a few close ones who comforted me and seemed to know exactly what I needed to hear to feel better.

I currently have 3 teenagers at home. Broken hearts so far haven't been too big an issue right now but it happens to all of us. I sympathize with you having to watch her go through this.