Rejection with a suggestion to make revisions and re-submit

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection on my partial, saying that if I revise it, I might want to re-submit it again in June. No specifics were given on what needs to be revised. Should I follow-up and ask? Should I drop it? I am also confused a little bit. Is it a form rejection (which sounded very nice, personal and sincere)? Should I take it very seriously and re-submit in June? I probably will re-submit just in case, but I was wondering what you guys think.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I won't pretend to knowledge I don't possess, but you asked what we think. So, here's what I think:

• Agents don't typically suggest a revise and resubmit unless they're serious. They haven't the time for opening those doors.
  • The agent probably didn't give you guidance on needed revision for the same reason: agents have become wary about opening dialogs with people they don't know, and they aren't looking for new best friends, anyway. Even if it turned out to be a friendly, infrequent exchange, they simply don't have the time to spend. So, no, I wouldn't ask. (Others with more knowledge may have a different take on this one.)

What I would do:

• Yes, I'd seriously consider revising and resubmitting. (But, when I did resubmit, I'd make sure the subject line of my resubmission included: Requested revise & resubmit: [book title].)
  • I see you don't have the requisite 50 substantive posts for putting your work up in SYW, so I recommend getting a couple of knowledgeable betas for the current version if you didn't the first go-round. If you did, get new betas and use them not only for this version, but also for the revision.
  • Revise and resubmit.

Last edited:

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
I had two betas read it. Both of them liked it and had no suggestions. Maybe I need new ones. Where do I find them? I looked through the forums and couldn't find beta readers forum. If someone can direct me there, I'd appreciate it!

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
An R&R is great news! Another piece of advice: check the thread about the agent here and on Querytracker to see notes people have about their R&Rs. This will help you see how common the proscription of six months later might be.
Best of luck! I've had two R&Rs, and while neither led to the agent I have now, they were both essential to putting my novel in the shape it was to be finally agented.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of the things you've mentioned about your revision/agenting process has raised some flags for me:

1. If an agent provides anything other than "no thank you," take that very seriously. As some others have previously mentioned, agents are extremely busy and have to be able to draw a line somewhere. If they've said anything about revising, take that seriously. The agent has told you to a) revise, and b) resubmit in June. They've given you a specific time that they want to see your MS again! Make sure you meet that timeline.

2. If beta readers can't point out ANYTHING in your MS that could use improvement, they're likely not the right betas for you. Even finished, published works can be "fixed" in some way, so a beta not being able to give you comments is a huge red flag.

foxfeet

Registered
Reaction score
A cave under a rock at the bottom of the ocean
R&R's are a good sign, it means something about your manuscript is interesting enough that the agent wants to spend more time with it.

Ari suggested you shouldn't ask for clarification, but I'm going to respectfully disagree on that point. I don't think most agents would be troubled by a polite, professional (and short) followup. If you think you definitely want to do the edit you could send something to let them know your intentions and ask for any advice they're willing to give. You might get silence, but any advice you do get will give you insight into whether or not the agent's vision for the book matches yours.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing exactly what the R&R said, because we'd be able to give better advice if we knew that.

Ari suggested you shouldn't ask for clarification, but I'm going to respectfully disagree on that point. I don't think most agents would be troubled by a polite, professional (and short) followup. If you think you definitely want to do the edit you could send something to let them know your intentions and ask for any advice they're willing to give. You might get silence, but any advice you do get will give you insight into whether or not the agent's vision for the book matches yours.

I disagree.

If the agent wanted to give feedback, the agent would have done so. Don't clog up their inbox by asking for more help than you have already been given.

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
This is what it said:

You have set up a very compelling conflict. However, after careful consideration, I feel that the manuscript is still at an earlier stage than that at which I feel I could offer representation, and for that reason, I have decided to pass. But I encourage you to continue working on this piece, and, if you’d like to resubmit in six months, I’d be more than delighted to read and reconsider the revision.

Then the was a second paragraph addressing me by my first name and saying this:

I am so sorry not to offer you representation at this time. No matter what you decide, I have no doubt you will have great success with TITLE, and I wish you the very best of publishing luck as you move forward.

And what does it mean "an earlier stage"? I am wondering if it not a R&R at all but rather a nice rejection? I feel like I am overthinking it... Not really sure any more.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be on the rough side maybe? Maybe you can have a beta to help tighten it up, ridding filter words, fixing grammar issues maybe? Make sure everything flows okay. That's what I get out of "early stages", but I could be wrong.

Either way good luck and keep working on it!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, you're overthinking.

1. You have a personalized rejection with an invitation to revise and resubmit. Celebrate.
  2. Some agents will work with you on a manuscript that requires only minor revision. What constitutes "minor" varies by agent. Still, it doesn't seem like this agent considers the needed revision to be minor.
  3. Yes, as Undercover said, "earlier stage" means still rough; your manuscript may or may not read like a first draft—I wouldn't know which because I haven't read it—but it still needs a lot of work.
  4. The invitation to resubmit in six months could be read as, "I think that's about how long it should take you to revise (working diligently) and I don't expect/want to see it before then." This could also mean the agent expects to be very busy for the next six months.
  5. Get crackin' on lining up your betas and prepare to revise.

Best of success with your manuscript.

Last edited:

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
Based on what is said here, I feel encouraged. Back to writing and revising I go...

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
That's really good news! I'd take that any day -- it really says something about your writing.

Just keep posting and helping others critique their works, and once you hit 50 posts (I think?) you can go to Share Your Work. The forum is AMAZING, and you never truly realize how many talented resources are thriving in this community here on AW.

I posted my first chapter and a subsequent chapter on SYW, I circle around there and critique in the SFF section. And I found two of my beta readers there, both of which are EXCELLENT.

To your point about the beta readers: if they liked it, then your MS is probably beyond their reading level and you should consider trying to find new ones. I found mine on SYW and am currently in two swaps with two amazing writers.

Good luck.