The Good Place - SEASON 1 SPOILERS

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Did anyone here watch it?? Anyone at all??? I need to discuss the season finale with someone, anyone, but nobody I know seems to be watching it. Which scares me that it won't get a Season 2, but evidently it has decent ratings and the point is . . . did anyone watch it??? Will you talk with me about it??

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ah well I guess that's a no then :( . Sigh. Somewhere there must be someone with whom I can discuss this!

It's also a bit of a pity here simply in that it is a wonderfully well written and constructed show, there is so much to learn by watching it in how to plot well and just a great examination of story structure. Also . . . it's really funny.

Sigh. I guess I'll go back to reading reviews of the finale now. And the comments section. Literally the only time reading the comments section is a good thing :) .

writeonleanne

señora vaca
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of this, so I did a quick search on the Google and:

When a tractor-trailer carrying erectile dysfunction products strikes and kills Eleanor Shellstrop, she's surprised to find herself in the "good" area of the afterlife.

Okay, so this sounds pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have cable and it's only on Hulu. :cry:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
"Fork. Hey, why can't I say fork?"

"You can't swear here."

"Well that's bullshirt."

I've seen the first few episodes (up til she admits to Michael that she doesn't belong and the train from the nether regions arrives). While it was competently written, and I have it On Demand, I haven't gotten around to continuing to watch it. The premise doesn't seem to be one that can continue from season to season.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Duncan I can assure you that having just watched the finale there is so much to mine in further seasons. Keep going. The structure and plot continues to reveal itself in both unexpected but also perfectly sensible ways when you look back in retrospect. It also continuously gets better. It's more like a 6.5 hour movie the way it's structured in some ways. Though I admire their ability to still do cohesive 22 min episodes.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I'd been meaning to watch this for a while. (I'm excited for a decent Kristen Bell vehicle. Her talent's been wasted since Veronica Mars IMO.) Thanks for the reminder!

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite new show. I fell in love with it from the first episode. Kristen Bell is great. And I did not see the twist in the finale coming at all.

Okay, so this sounds pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have cable and it's only on Hulu. :cry:

Try the NBC site: http://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/episodes

It's a network show, not cable, and it looks like NBC might have all the episodes. Or "extended cut" versions, I guess. I haven't clicked through all of them, but it doesn't look like any of them are locked.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
This is my favorite new show. I fell in love with it from the first episode. Kristen Bell is great. And I did not see the twist in the finale coming at all.

SO good. And Ted Danson's smile in that moment??? A work of art! Fantastic acting. I also love that it made perfect sense, that it wasn't just dropped for effect or to get people to come back for Season 2. I also love how many people were blown away by it. It was truly effective writing.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been catching up, and I'm about 3 episodes from the season finale - I like it so far - Not great TV, but it's interesting and entertaining.

I especially think their take on the "Afterlife" is fascinating.

I'll get back with ya, when I'm done - You've really got my curiosity peaked re: the finale now. :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh man, that season finale was quite a disappointment.

While I didn't see it coming, it felt as though they ran out of ideas, and so now...

They're gonna hit the "Reset Button"

Phooey!

I enjoyed season one, but sadly, I'm done. :flag:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh that's too bad. I really did not see it that way at all. Especially as it isn't exactly a reset. Now there is a quest factor for Eleanor. Plus considering the creator wanted to combine a season 1 and 2 into one season (hence why Eleanor confessed halfway through as opposed to dragging it out for the whole season) and he plans to do likewise in the next season, I just can't see it as them going back and doing the same all over again. Also the entire show was also meta about sitcoms in general, so yes the reset button had to be hit because that's a trope, but it will very likely also be subverted. I mean, this is all assuming they get a season 2. If they do, I'll let you know if they do as I think they will :) .

But did you not enjoy the reveal itself, regardless of the reset? I thought the season was so wonderfully well structured with so many amazing hints throughout that we kind of just tossed aside assuming this is typical sitcom inconsistency. I know that the creator worked very hard to make sure it was a fully planned arc, even only wanting the 13 episodes specifically.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...But did you not enjoy the reveal itself, regardless of the reset?
Yes, I did enjoy being surprised by the reveal - Did not see that coming at all.

... I actually thought Season 2 would involve Eleanor and Jason being sent back to earth to make amends, and thereby earn them the right to belong in The Good Place. :Shrug:

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Duncan I can assure you that having just watched the finale there is so much to mine in further seasons. Keep going. The structure and plot continues to reveal itself in both unexpected but also perfectly sensible ways when you look back in retrospect. It also continuously gets better. It's more like a 6.5 hour movie the way it's structured in some ways. Though I admire their ability to still do cohesive 22 min episodes.
No, not yet. I'm up to (but not including) Eps 10-13. I'll try to get them done at some point, but between the wife and I, the only things we watch non-time-shifted are the news and Washington Capitals games.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh man! You're so close! There are only 13 episodes after all so you only have an hour's left of viewing! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lavern - Oh that's an interesting take too! Though I suppose it would have to now be all four of them :) . I suppose for me I'm more interested in getting to know the world building of the afterlife and I feel like we're going to get a lot of that next season.

Last edited:

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Bonus points to the writers, considering they gave away the big finale "twist" in the premiere. Eleanor says she thinks her parents are in The Bad Place, and probably being used to torture each other.

I appreciate the twist because it explains away a lot of the inconceivable over-the-top actions and plot points. Looking forward to Ted Danson getting to play the villain.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate the twist because it explains away a lot of the inconceivable over-the-top actions and plot points. Looking forward to Ted Danson getting to play the villain.

I agree! The show strained my suspension of disbelief occasionally, even for a comedy (really? Eleanor just happened to be at the same place at the same time as another woman with the exact same name, and they both died in the same accident?). The twist made a lot of things make a lot of sense.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
I didn't see it as a reset at all. Everything is different now - for us. I expect next season to do away with any red herrings pretty quickly and then... what then? I think the most exciting thing about this is that I have no idea where they can possibly go from there.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
DancingMaenid - totally! But I, like many viewers, ended up just pushing inconsistencies or the slightly too unbelievable things to the side because, well, a lot of sitcoms actually do do that. I found that one of the most fascinating parts of the show. That it was not only a show about the afterlife and morality etc, but a sitcom about sitcoms. Playing with our expectations and thus allowing I think the majority of us to be truly surprised by the twist.

Max - I agree 100%. I didn't actually see it as a reset either, but it is one technically in plot terms. I really don't think they are going to dwell too long on the reset aspect though. Considering how much they subverted in season 1, I think we'll be moving on to other things pretty quick.

DancingMaenid

Registered
Reaction score
Max - I agree 100%. I didn't actually see it as a reset either, but it is one technically in plot terms. I really don't think they are going to dwell too long on the reset aspect though. Considering how much they subverted in season 1, I think we'll be moving on to other things pretty quick.

I agree. The show's concept was risky to begin with (could they keep the premise going for multiple episodes without it getting old? Was it too high concept?) but it pulled it off and won me over. So I have faith they can keep things interesting.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... So I have faith they can keep things interesting.
Time will tell - I'll check back in with you guys and see what you think - While I think Kristen Bell is as cute as a button, I've lost interest. :Shrug: