PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with WW2 dates and locations.

possiblerobot
01-16-2017, 07:17 AM
One of the larger plot points in the start of my novel involves my MC getting from a concentration camp in Germany to an Allied offensive. From what I've discerned from my trawling of the internet, one of the better times for this to happen would be sometime in September of 1944, when the Allies are pushing up to the Siegfried Line. My progress on getting any more specific in this timeline has been frustratingly slow, and I'm having trouble finding a point where the MC could start and realistically meet up with the Allies. Any help would be appreciated.

blacbird
01-16-2017, 11:34 PM
First, which camp? There were a lot of them, spread widely over Germany and Nazi-occupied territories. By September 1944 the war only had another six months or so left, with the Battle of the Bulge in the West being the last-gasp offensive of the Germans around the end of that year. But you'll need to be specific about your geography.

caw

cmhbob
01-16-2017, 11:57 PM
Keep in mind too that the camps were mostly clusters of sites.

There's also a difference for Holocaust scholars between a concentration camp and an extermination camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_concentration_camps

TravelHat
01-16-2017, 11:59 PM
One of the larger plot points in the start of my novel involves my MC getting from a concentration camp in Germany to an Allied offensive. From what I've discerned from my trawling of the internet, one of the better times for this to happen would be sometime in September of 1944, when the Allies are pushing up to the Siegfried Line. My progress on getting any more specific in this timeline has been frustratingly slow, and I'm having trouble finding a point where the MC could start and realistically meet up with the Allies. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess that depends on several things.

- Do you want them to reconnect with the Western Allies (e.g. US, France, UK) or the Soviets to the east?
- Is it important that the concentration camp be in Germany? Throughout the war, many were located outside of Germany proper.
- Is your MC Jewish? Since they were target for extermination with the "Final Solution", many were relocated earlier to death camps in Poland.

If you want to have them join with the allies, you might consider camps outside of Germany, and since they did a signficant evacuation period after D-day, maybe they escaped during that point. If it is OK for the camp to be located outside of Germany, try the following

Natzweiler, in France - It became became a war zone in late summer 1944, and was evacuated in early September 1944 (many prisoners where shot prior to relocation)

Vught, in Belgium - After D-day, the Germans started evacuating the camp - Women went to Ravensbrück, and the men to Sachsenhausen. Most of the evacuation was complete by Sept 1944, and the Allies liberated the camp in October.

Hope this helps.

Michael

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 12:19 AM
I guess that depends on several things.

- Do you want them to reconnect with the Western Allies (e.g. US, France, UK) or the Soviets to the east?
- Is it important that the concentration camp be in Germany? Throughout the war, many were located outside of Germany proper.
- Is your MC Jewish? Since they were target for extermination with the "Final Solution", many were relocated earlier to death camps in Poland.

If you want to have them join with the allies, you might consider camps outside of Germany, and since they did a signficant evacuation period after D-day, maybe they escaped during that point. If it is OK for the camp to be located outside of Germany, try the following

Natzweiler, in France - It became became a war zone in late summer 1944, and was evacuated in early September 1944 (many prisoners where shot prior to relocation)

Vught, in Belgium - After D-day, the Germans started evacuating the camp - Women went to Ravensbrück, and the men to Sachsenhausen. Most of the evacuation was complete by Sept 1944, and the Allies liberated the camp in October.

Hope this helps.

Michael

1. I want them to join up with the Western Allies
2. Yes, it's important for it to be located in Germany, because I'm intending for them to be forced into being part of several important medical experiments
3. No, he is of mixed race

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 12:23 AM
First, which camp? There were a lot of them, spread widely over Germany and Nazi-occupied territories. By September 1944 the war only had another six months or so left, with the Battle of the Bulge in the West being the last-gasp offensive of the Germans around the end of that year. But you'll need to be specific about your geography.

caw

The geography is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm looking for a camp that would be located in Western Germany, and close enough to be located close enough to the Siegfried Line to be able to get there at about the same time when the Western Allies were reaching it.

blacbird
01-17-2017, 12:29 AM
The geography is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm looking for a camp that would be located in Western Germany, and close enough to be located close enough to the Siegfried Line to be able to get there at about the same time when the Western Allies were reaching it.

I just googled "German concentration camps WWII map), looked at "images", and there are maps aplenty. Go look.

caw

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 01:24 AM
I just googled "German concentration camps WWII map), looked at "images", and there are maps aplenty. Go look.

caw

Now I just feel stupid for not thinking of that.

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Looking at it now, I probably will use Natzweiler. It seems to make sense.

MDSchafer
01-17-2017, 02:08 AM
So, there are a number of World War II almanacs that will give you a day-by-day account of World War II. I wouldn't imagine trying to write anything set during World War II without one.

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 02:26 AM
I haven't seen any almanacs, but I've seen a few videos sort of like that. I'll have to see if I can find one.

TravelHat
01-17-2017, 02:38 AM
Looking at it now, I probably will use Natzweiler. It seems to make sense.

Natzweiler looks to meet much of your requirements.

To help your background, here is list of medical experiments conducted at Natzweiler

https://www.scrapbookpages.com/Natzweiler/MedicalExperiments.html

Good Luck.

-

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 03:37 AM
Thanks!

possiblerobot
01-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Would August 20th, or sometime around that, be a good option for him escaping? It's before the evacuation, and the Allies would be in Paris, which Google Maps says can be reached in three and a half days by foot from Natzweiler. What do you think?