PDA

View Full Version : Mention previous MS requests to agents?

cmtruesd
01-10-2017, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone! First of all, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, or if it's been asked before.

Three years ago, I queried my first MS. I received some interest from agents who requested partials/fulls. Ultimately, they all passed, and I put the MS on my shelf for good.

After taking some time to gain more experience in the field, I now have another MS in the same genre that I'm getting ready to query. My question is: Should I mention to agents that they previously requested partials/fulls of my work? I've since gotten married and changed my name, so unless I mention it, they'd have no way to know. Is that in bad taste? Should I just let the query speak for itself? Or would agents prefer to know? Is it stupid to bring up since they ultimately passed?

I'm at a loss! Any input is greatly appreciated :)

Marissa D
01-10-2017, 10:02 PM
Just let the query speak for itself, unless any individual agents who'd previously had fulls specifically said "I'm passing on this, but please think of me for your next book" or something like that. And even then, I might not bother.

waylander
01-10-2017, 10:29 PM
When agents say "think of me for your next work", they mean it. If you got any comments like that then definitely remind them.

mayqueen
01-10-2017, 10:54 PM
I'd mention it. I don't think it can hurt. Especially if they invited you to submit future work or gave you any kind of positive response when rejecting, I think it's worth mentioning. I usually do. I say something like, "In [year], you requested my manuscript [Title]. I hope you'll be interested in my new manuscript." And then you could just add, "I was writing under my maiden name, [name]."

ElaineA
01-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Another vote for, if anyone encouraged you to send future work, definitely mention it. I fully intend to.

For those who had requested your full MS, I'd even mention that. Agents remember more than we assume. I might forego the mention on the partials, but that's just me. (And, as mayqueen says, be sure to mention that you'd previously queried under your maiden name so they don't think you're trying to pull a fast one. Some skeevy queriers do try to pull stuff over on agents.)

No one's going to hold it against you for mentioning they've requested your work before. The worst that can happen is it won't make a difference. That's what I call a no-lose situation. Good luck on your querying!

cmtruesd
01-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Thanks everyone!