PDA

View Full Version : Do you submit to a UK agent if you are in the US?

Ninka
01-04-2017, 10:39 PM
Do UK agents have access to the US market? On QueryTracker when I use "search" function for my genre, I get suggestions of a few UK agents. I was tempted to try but not sure if I should.

Captcha
01-04-2017, 10:40 PM
You can, but it's probably more common for authors to go in the reverse direction (submit to US agents even though they're not US residents).

UK agents can submit to US publishers, but they've probably got better contacts in the UK.

EMaree
01-04-2017, 11:06 PM
Read the agency submission guidelines first, because a significant amount of UK agencies strictly don't accept submissions from US writers.

Cyia
01-04-2017, 11:11 PM
You can (I did, FWIW), but if you do, take into account that your "domestic" sales will be sales in the UK and your "foreign" sales will include sales in the US. This means that you pay a higher royalty on sales in the US since your agent will likely be using a sub-agent. Also remember that you'll have to plan for differences in time zones and tax codes. Any phone calls between you, your agent and 3rd parties such as editors or producers may come at strange hours for you in order to accommodate a UK schedule.

Ninka
01-04-2017, 11:28 PM
You can (I did, FWIW), but if you do, take into account that your "domestic" sales will be sales in the UK and your "foreign" sales will include sales in the US. This means that you pay a higher royalty on sales in the US since your agent will likely be using a sub-agent. Also remember that you'll have to plan for differences in time zones and tax codes. Any phone calls between you, your agent and 3rd parties such as editors or producers may come at strange hours for you in order to accommodate a UK schedule.

All good points. I'll focus on the US for now. I guess when I run out of options, I might consider it.

PeteMC
01-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Yup, and the other way around too - I'm in the UK and have a US agent. The tax thing took a bit of sorting out but other than that it's not really an issue.