PDA

View Full Version : Fastening pages

Umgowa
01-03-2017, 09:42 PM
I would appreciate it if someone could help me overcome one of my biggest problems. Whenever I see two or more pages of a synopsis, or many pages of a manuscript piled together, some deep, visceral need creeps over me to fasten the pages together. In my mind I see the pages flying off desks, getting lost or misplaced. I can not understand why the entire publishing world apparently needs to have all pages unattached. I have an agent who wants me to send a two-page synopsis and the first three chapters. I would love to staple the two pages of the synopsis together and I would love to get one of those fold-down clips/clamps and clamp the first three chapters together. My question is this: Does everything have to be loose and unattached? Or by any chance can I perhaps stave off my nightmares of pages flying all over the office and getting lost and get the green light from you guys to attach my synopsis and my chapters. I would love to hear your recommendation on this subject. Thanks.

Cyia
01-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Use a clip if you absolutely need to, but generally, you leave it all loose leaf. Another option is a simple bi-pocket folder without brads. Put the chapters, loose-leaf, in one pocket and your synopsis in the other.

Myrealana
01-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Number your pages.

DO NOT STAPLE THEM TOGETHER.

If you want to use something easily removable like a binder clip, paper clip or rubber band, you can, but never do anything that's going to make it harder for the agent to handle the pages easily.

Aggy B.
01-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Number your pages. If you're sending a full MS you can get a box to put it in for ease of transport (through the mail and around the office).

But my experience was the number of agents who wanted snail-mail pages was extremely low. (Like two agents out of two hundred.)

Marissa D
01-03-2017, 10:35 PM
Agree with Aggy B.--almost all querying and sending of partial and full manuscripts is happening by email, so this whole issue has become moot.

mayqueen
01-03-2017, 11:09 PM
Just wanted to mention that in addition to numbering your pages, make sure the header also includes your last name and a one-word of the title.

Niiicola
01-04-2017, 07:01 AM
I'm always curious about agents who ask for snail mail submissions. Do they require their clients to send their manuscripts via snail mail, as well?

Old Hack
01-04-2017, 11:47 AM
No, not usually.

And if they're interested enough in a query they usually ask writers to email in the ms.